1888 o vam 1A3 obverse gouge question

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by COOPER12, Jun 3, 2020.

1. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Well, sounds like you already know what you have:

There is nothing on the neck [Actually there is and hits on the jaw too :D] if that’s what your talking about . Just some rubbed luster. This coin has a incredible amount of luster so everything shows the hit in front of the face looks like something struck the coin during minting I think . That hit is pretty deep with little groves in it , it looks like..."

You have just described what a "struck thru sawdust" looks like when the wood fiber falls out. ;) Anyway, the only image needed to be sure is a more magnified image of the mark (as above) taken using florescent light.

COOPER12 and Paddy54 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

No, that is a mint error. Damage to a coin post mintage generally makes a coin get a details grade. I think you have the answer right on the slab—a die clash.

4. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Of course you know that the mark that the OP asked about (he called it a gouge) in the field IS NOT a die clash. ;)

5. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

I wan’t talking about that. I was talking about the planchet flaw was not a bag mark, and any “damage” to the coin is pre-release from the mint. If I was unclear, sorry for the conclusion. I am well aware of the variety.

Draft saved Draft deleted