1888 O VAM 1A

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by COOPER12, May 27, 2020.

1. COOPER12

COOPER12 Well-Known Member

Just picked this one up, graded MS-63 by NGC
    the photos are from NGC as well , ill try to get better ones when it arrives .
    it has a partial E clash on the reverse but I bought this one because of the nice Die Crack running from the edge through the R and past the L of Liberty. Pretty cool.
    Strike is not real good like many of the VAM 1A I have seen

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

Cheech9712 and COOPER12 like this.
  4. Shrews1994

Shrews1994 Collecting is my passion.

Very nice!

COOPER12 likes this.
  5. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

Nice! With the late die state break through the R, this is now called VAM 1A3.

alurid and COOPER12 like this.
  6. COOPER12

I hope the break extends into the hair , looking at the photos of VAM 1A2 and VAM1A3 I could not say for sure where I had thought it would fall. The break looks more pronounced though than what I have been seeing.

7. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

Thin radial crack through the R is 1A2. Fat break through the R is 1A3. It's important to read the specification for some of these varieties carefully. This one says, "chips at the L in Liberty and displaced field break along crack on very late die states," for VAM 1A3. What this means is that not all VAM 1A3s, but only the latest die states, will display this. Actually, it's a little ambiguously worded with respect to exactly how much of that refers to the late die states, but it doesn't state that the crack needs to extend into the hair. I do see the chip in front of the L in LIBERTY on your coin, though, so I'd put a VAM 1A3 sticker on that.

8. COOPER12

Nice thanks . I have a 84 o/o was told is vam 29 I need to send in a few coins to you haha

9. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Draft saved Draft deleted