1888 Newfoundland Cent GTG

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by britannia40, Dec 2, 2015.

1. britannia40

britannia40 Well-Known Member

here is a piece i aquired recently any grades ir opinions are welcomed
    20151202_143404.jpg 20151202_143414.jpg

jj00, swamp yankee and spirityoda like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mark240590

mark240590 Rule Britannia !

At first glance I would go VF+ because of the wear on the crown but is there any chance you could get a clearer shot of both sides since there are generally wear indicatiors of each I can't quite make out its very nice though and a pleasing date. I always find myself drawn towards those types of dates haha

swamp yankee likes this.
  4. harris498

harris498 Accumulator

Don't know much about the Newfoundland coinage, but it's a nice looking cent.
    Great eye appeal.

swamp yankee likes this.
  5. britannia40

Mark,

Both sides I don't understand. I can take some more pictures once you let me know

chris

swamp yankee likes this.
  6. britannia40

here's a few more pictures under a spotlight as it will show even the most small imperfection. it does have a minor rim nick as seen from side view
    20151202_220656.jpg 20151202_220708.jpg 20151202_220804.jpg 20151202_220812.jpg 20151202_220819.jpg 20151202_220938.jpg

7. David Setree Rare Coins

David Setree Rare Coins Well-Known Member

8. techwriter

techwriter Well-Known Member

I agree 100+% with David Setree Rare Coins. Might even be AU.
    Very, very nice--enjoy it as I know you will. :)

britannia40 likes this.
  9. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

gVF by Canadian grading standards, XF by more lax US standards. AU would be overblown, too much wear.

10. Mike Thorne

Mike Thorne Well-Known Member

XF40 is my guess.

britannia40 likes this.
  11. brg5658

brg5658 Supporter! Supporter

I think you're confusing what you call "lax US standards" with what is actually a completely different grading standard. Canadian and US standards have never been the same...nor are those of the US and the UK. It doesn't matter what it's called in the US as long as it's done consistently. Same goes for Canada. A more accurate way of stating it is simply "gVF by Canadian standards, XF by US standards"...period.

Now as for the grade, it wouldn't surprise me one iota if PCGS put that coin in an AU50 holder. I presume we'll eventually know, since the OP seems to submit every coin he purchases for grading (and NO, I don't mean that in a derogatory sense -- he can collect however he likes).

12. britannia40

Actually I find that Canada ICCS grading is about on spot with PCGS for at least MS examples maybe + or- 1 grade. I've switched out several this last 6 months.

Yes, I agree I submit grade and collect how I see fit.

I do find it classic that a few collectors on this and other forums like to point in negative directions just because they don't have their rare or scarce MS65 n 66 coins and/or a box of 20.

As far as i'm concerned this is a forum for sharing and learning but like anything else in life there always have to be a few of those guys n girls....

Just blow them off when you can and remember they love to hear themselves talk and boast their "expert" opinions and how great they and their collections are.

13. brg5658

brg5658 Supporter! Supporter

@britannia40 I'm not sure if your comments are pointed at me or another poster in this thread, but I actually was pointing out that I liked your token. I think it's AU based on the detail of Vicky's hair -- and I don't see how anyone with eyeballs could say the grade is VF -- XF I could live with I guess. ;)

14. Numismat

Because the higher points of the design, like the crown and wreath, as well as the bust shoulder and breast areas have considerable wear. The hair is quite sharp, yes, but this can be misleading. The same thing is true for British Vicky halfpennies - the hair can be very sharp but higher points, especially on the reverse, have wear.
    By lax I mean that US grading of Canadian coins (as well as many other British commonwealth like Australia) is more liberal than how such coins are graded in those countries. I do agree with @britannia40 that this is not so much an issue for MS coins, but it seems to be an issue for sub-MS coins.

15. Numismat

I'm sorry if you feel people are hating on you. Some people are just very blunt with their opinion and it can come off that way. I'm sure there are a few bad apples that just like to knock people down a peg, but I don't see anyone trying to do that in this thread. It certainly is not and has never been my intention in regards to anyone.

16. britannia40

I wasn't offended by your comments at all numismat or BRG. it was a fair assessment and opinion. thanks for offering it on here. I just didn't want to see any arguments start as unfortunately happens on many forums.

I also assumed XF-AU. Im getting it slabbed with PCGS at the coin show here for several reasons. One, its a nice character coin, two, its a relatively low mintage piece for NFL Cents and three, because I like it and feel it preserves it and locks the grade for when and if I do decide to sell it.

Numismat likes this.
  17. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Great looking coin. It looks better than XF in one of the pics, very nice looking coin.

18. mark240590

mark240590 Rule Britannia !

VF+ by my conservative English standards probably is around the XF area I think there is a little too much wear for AU but we'll see and I'll be eager to find out what it comes back as.

19. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

XF45 to me. Nice!

20. britannia40

Grade is in XF45

jj00 likes this.
  21. britannia40

Draft saved Draft deleted