1888/7 Indian Head Cent Cherrypick

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by LostDutchman, Feb 26, 2015.

1. LostDutchman

LostDutchman Under Staffed & Overly Motivated Supporter

Picked this out of a dealers box at a show last week. Not the best grade but it's the real deal.

IMG_0069.JPG IMG_0074.JPG IMG_0037.JPG

KurtS, tommyc03 and HoosierDaddy like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. geekpryde

geekpryde Husband and Father Moderator

Looks like a match to me!

Although I had to check PCGS Coinfacts to see what the heck you were talking about.

[​IMG]

4. phankins11

phankins11 Well-Known Member

Obviously you know all these cherries to be picked because you're a dealer...it's your job, but when you do something like this, were you specifically after this variety, or do you just have a list in your head that you just know "hey if I see an IHC, look for this variety."

Keeping track of all these variates just seems like a memorization nightmare to me. It just seems like you could spend an entire show looking through one dealer's box looking for cherry picks.

mark_h likes this.
  5. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Amazing!

Congrats on the 'you suck' award!

rooman9, miedbe7, JPeace$ and 3 others like this.
  6. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

Not going to say anything, but just agree with Frank. :)

7. brg5658

brg5658 Supporter! Supporter

It shouldn't grade problem free with the damage to the "E" on the obverse, but if apparently this coin is worth north of $1000 even in G4, nice cherrypick.

It's completely bizarre to me that such an un-noticeable variety sells for such a lofty premium, even in completely beat-up state of preservation.

Coinchemistry 2012 likes this.
  8. LostDutchman

LostDutchman Under Staffed & Overly Motivated Supporter

My employees and I like to pick 5-10 each a show and study them and memorize them and see what we can find. After a while you just start remember what to look for. It's just a lot of memorization.

EagleEyez, tommyc03, Paddy54 and 2 others like this.
  9. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

10. HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy Active Member

What would you pay for this example????

11. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

You need not be a dealer to cherry pick. Just need to have an interest in variety collecting .
    I can't explain the joy of finding a coin that the dealer has marked $40 that's worth many times the asking price. Except when you counter offer $10 less and he says yes!
    Most of us old timers have our own game plan working a show. I walk the show scout out my wants and needs.... then if there's nothing that sparks interest I go to plan B.
    Plan B is in place while walking the show the first go round.
    If I have spotted a coin that is a known variety I give it the once over. And yes... there is a lot to remember varieties as well as values. But it pays off!!!!
    The last 5 shows I have cherry picked 5 coins cost under $170. Worth over $1000.
    WTG Matt nice pick!

BTW it's not illegal to carry a Cherry picker ' s to a show with you. :)

Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
  12. HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy Active Member

Going to a show Saturday....what's the most overlooked top 5 coins?

13. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Memorization...try the 2009 Lincolns with hundreds of errors! I'm too old for this but it's good for memory they say at my age.

14. Paddy54

It's completely bizarre to me that such an un-noticeable variety sells for such a lofty premium, even in completely beat-up state of preservation.[/QUOTE]

I agree but they do , and what blows my mind is that coins with lower mintage's... case in point 1893 O Morgan mintage of 300,000 yes a key coin that's values are far lower than a 1895 O or S mintage of 450,000. & 400,000.

15. Paddy54

Try shield nickels, and the 1943 P Jefferson your sure to score a variety . You can also carry your smart phone with varieties guide down loaded on your phone. I carry the Variety Vista .Com guide on my phone data at your fingertips .There are over 62 known varieties alone on the 1943 P war nickel!

Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
    EagleEyez likes this.
  16. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

Meant to reply. Oh well. With a cherry pickers guide you can go to dealer sites, heritage, ebay, etc. to start cherry picking. My local shop encourages it. I picked a missing leaf shield nickel from the local shop - twice. One was pretty nice - the other was on a junk coin tray. This was the first time I ever saw them put out coins on a tray that were junk. But I found a missing leaf on the shield nickel batch. The best cherry pick I had was an 1882 Snow 6 on Heritage weekly auction. This was when there was only 5 or 6 known.

phankins11 likes this.
  17. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Fivaz and Stanton has a 3x4 spiral "The Cherrypickers Pocket Guide, the Top 150" that I often carry to shows, Looks just like a spiral notebook in your pocket.

Paddy54 and phankins11 like this.
  18. phankins11

phankins11 Well-Known Member

19. Paddy54

20. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Mintages aren't everything, survival rates are more important. The 95 O and S may have had higher mintages, but a lower survival rate would mean that less of them are around now than 93 O's.

21. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

They cost a lot more than when I bought mine, but yes, handy to carry to shows.

Draft saved Draft deleted