1887 Queen Victoria (Jubilee) Shilling

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Moustan, Jul 7, 2008.

1. Moustan

Moustan New Member

Hallo, I've been collecting coins for a while as a small side-interest but tbh I don't really have a clue on the boundaries of grading. Any chance of someone giving me an idea on this shilling? It's in better condition than most Georgian-Edwardian coins I have as the text that surrounds the coat of arms hasn't yet worn away which it is very prone to doing, especially on the 'P' of 'PENSE'. Anyway, cheers in advance for any learned observations ;)

Moustan

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

based on the reverse alone, the obv pic is way too small, it looks MS64 to me. Or in your parlance, just a hair under FDC ;)

4. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

FDC ? :confused:
    rzage

5. GDJMSP

It is a European grading term, means fleur de coin or the the flower of the coin. In our terms, MS65 or better.

6. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

Wow...I learn something new here everyday. I think GD should put "CoinTalk Sage" under his username rather than admin.

7. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

is there something on the rim at 10 and 11 o clock? Its a very nice coin.

8. Moustan

Moustan New Member

Ah, yeah there is a small mark at 11 'o clock and slightly further along the rim (in an anti-clockwise direction) an even smaller one.
    Cheers

9. Moustan

Moustan New Member

Thanks very much for the help :D Although am afraid to say that until you compared it to MS65 I didn't have a clue what FDC meant - maybe it's just continental European as I'm Scottish and coins here are termed as UNC AUC EF VF F VG G AG and then scrap, which I think is similair to American measurements with the exception that numerical terms (such as MS64) aren't used,
    Anyway cheers again, I owe you an imaginary pint of 80/- ;)

10. De Orc

De Orc Well-Known Member

As they all live in the US I am happy to take the pint for them :whistle: Have to say that is a realy lovely looking coin, wish I had one as nice in my collection :bow:

11. GDJMSP

Be my guest - my doctor frowns on it anyway ;)

12. De Orc

De Orc Well-Known Member

All I can say is he has never tried a Pint of Heavy :) It is known too cure all ills :whistle:

13. Moustan

Moustan New Member

Perhaps heavy isn't available in the states.
    Failing that: "Guiness is good for you" ;)

14. JeromeLS

JeromeLS Coin Fanatic

Decent uncirculated. Not FDC. FDC is only applicable to proofs and specimens.

15. GDJMSP

I never said it was FDC, I said it was a hair under FDC. And FDC is not only applicable to Proofs and specimens. It is applied to business strike coins as well.

16. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

i have developed a new term its called SBC. spocks bloom of the die coins. :D

17. Moustan

Moustan New Member

Silly Big Cauliflowers?

18. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

not to keep blowing my own trumpet but i found 2 more coins that fit the SBC designation i will post those shortly

19. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

mods i found another one that cant read lets use the ban button

20. Moustan

Moustan New Member

Draft saved Draft deleted