1887-O... actually a 1887/6-O? (Early Die State?) - VAM 3?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by BoredOnHere, Oct 28, 2016.

1. BoredOnHere

BoredOnHere New Member

Hi,

Picked up a 1887-O recently and was wondering if it was actually an early die state 1887/6-O. There isn't a die crack near the "I" in liberty (as would be in a late die state), but the overdate seems more pronounced than usual, especially to the right "6" curving towards the "7". Usually it's really hard to spot even in MS, but take a look below at the date..

There aren't too many diagnostics for a 1887/6-O. Wondering if someone could help a noob out.

Thanks!! 1.jpg

1.jpg 1.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Nope. The "six" looks like a toning stain. :sorry:

4. BoredOnHere

BoredOnHere New Member

But it raises up... (in person). Didn't get a side angle. Hard to see also, but the right side of the "6" crosses the 7 about halfway.

5. Insider

Than possibly debris with toning around it. I believe the "six" is in the wrong position.

Hey, perhaps you have a rare "Discovery Coin" with another over date position for the 7/6.

6. BoredOnHere

BoredOnHere New Member

I was wondering that myself, but since it (might be) an EDS, it might be different idk.

How does metal "debris" attach and tone around it? I've never really heard of that.

RE: "Discovery Coin" - Not sure if that was sarcasm or not hahaha

7. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Poke it with a stick to see if it comes off. Like a toothpick or rose thorn. Definitely not a vam 3. The date is right of normal and slanted on your coin and the v3 has an almost near left of normal non-slanted date

Dave Waterstraat and Insider like this.
  8. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

I just duplicated Cascade's post before I actually read it. :)

9. Insider

Anything is possible...I've found almost a dozen over the years but only three belonged to me.:(

10. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

It doesn't look like it to me, but maybe I've grown more blind.

Chris

11. Insider

:(:facepalm: There goes your pool game.

12. BoredOnHere

BoredOnHere New Member

Can't - It's slabbed MS64 in PCGS holder.

If it's not a VAM-3 overdate then oh well.

13. BoredOnHere

BoredOnHere New Member

Ugh. Yeah usually VAM-3's are weak and hard to spot. In that case I have no idea what this is, since I can't break the holder open.

14. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

You could with the right tools. :) I just do not recommend it for this coin - looks kind of frosty. Nice coin.

15. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I had to quit playing pool about 5 years ago because of an intention tremor in my stroke hand. That's okay! I enjoyed the game for 55 years.

Chris

16. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Try vam 42

17. redcent230

redcent230 Well-Known Member

Nice looking coin anyway

18. Dave Waterstraat

Dave Waterstraat Well-Known Member

Post a full image of the obverse and reverse and someone will likely nail the attribution for you. She's a normal date position slightly slanted but since there are no normal/slanted date listings it will fall under normal position.

Draft saved Draft deleted