1887 Morgan - Red Velvet Case Toning - Rev. Clashes

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by CircCam, Jan 20, 2019.

1. CircCam

CircCam Victory

This particular coin was part of a larger Morgan set in a red velvet case; they all had similar toning but this one was by far the most attractive. The owner was kind enough to let me buy just the one. I was a little afraid of what could be hiding on the reverse in this crusty old holder but it came out white/lustrous and with some neat clashes.

The obverse cartwheels nicely (really hard to capture the luster with this toning) and the colors are lovely. I'm usually more of a target toning kind of guy but this one hooked me.

Any ideas on the VAM? Thanks.
    2E5D6620-0EC8-4BFF-9F56-5E181EC55266.jpeg DA3FC610-A5B6-4B0B-BB9A-0635D2778704.jpeg 760AFC96-D803-4C57-8753-949830DC5AB2.jpeg 28D48A68-7B6D-432F-B266-780F242FA5D5.jpeg
    1887 Toner MS63.png

Browns Fan, 1916D10C, Kasia and 5 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Dave Waterstraat

Dave Waterstraat Well-Known Member

Tough call with the obverse toning but compare it to VAM-12A.

4. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

+1 on the 12 A

5. SilverDollar2017

SilverDollar2017 Morgan dollars

As for grade, I'll go MS-63.

CircCam likes this.
  6. AngelDeath

AngelDeath Well-Known Member

Regardless of grade that is a beautiful coin!

CircCam likes this.
  7. Jim Dale

Jim Dale Well-Known Member

How do you get toning on one side and not the other? I have a couple of Morgans that have about a quarter inch of toning on both sides of the edge. GOT to Get a camera. Great coin tho.

CircCam likes this.
  8. CircCam

CircCam Victory

Bingo- doubling on Liberty and alligator eye is present. Agreed hard to see through that toning but it’s there. Reverse is a lock. My first top 100 VAM! Thanks!

It was obverse up, so that side was exposed to the air; the reverse was flush against the back of the case.

By the looks of the rim, I have a feeling it was dipped and then put straight into this case for several decades.

Dave Waterstraat likes this.
  9. CircCam

CircCam Victory

The dealer and I were both at 63 as well, made for an easy transaction.

10. John Skelton

John Skelton Morgan man!

I might buy a Morgan with a little toning, but I don't like that coin at all. Sorry, but it just turns me off.

11. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

The wing clash even thought it was difficult to see from the images I knew it was there checked a few other pups. Bingo 12A

Dave Waterstraat and CircCam like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted