1886 V Nickel

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Vermontcoiner, May 8, 2016.

1. Vermontcoiner

Vermontcoiner New Member

Hey, I am new here, just wondering if you guys think this one is worth getting this graded? Thanks! -Ben

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Omegaraptor

Omegaraptor Gobrecht/Longacre Enthusiast

I'd say $100+ is worth it through Economy, and this looks to be a $100+ coin.

4. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

The average buyer for that coin, due to its condition, is going to be more concerned with getting it at a "good" price than having it in plastic. It's one thing if you really want to and can piggyback it at a lower overall cost, but as a primary or part of a stand alone submission, it's likely a waste of time and money imo. At the "right" price it's going to sell regardless.

rzage and Paul M. like this.
  5. Vermontcoiner

Vermontcoiner New Member

thanks for the advice, I am not trying to sell it. I would like to hold on to it. In that case would it be worth getting graded?

6. Omegaraptor

Omegaraptor Gobrecht/Longacre Enthusiast

Unless you really, really want it graded, just hold on to it raw if you're keeping it and know it's genuine.

7. NOS

NOS Former Coin Hoarder

I would consider getting it graded if you're concerned with confirming its authenticity. Chinese counterfeiters have been known to produce counterfeits, bury them in the ground, and pee on them for a while to age them. I was told of this back in 1999 from a collector who was informed of this dubious practice from having visited China numerous times.

Last edited: May 8, 2016
    Paul M. likes this.
  8. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

This is a key date for the series, and a rather pricey piece. Yours looks to be - at least from the one image, it would be strongly preferable to see both faces - in at least XF condition. It's an important enough coin to attract counterfeiters, and I'm unwilling to even guess at authenticity from one picture of one face.

If real, it is absolutely worth having graded. Even if we assume the color isn't original and it gets a Details grade, it's still a $250 coin.

NOS and Paul M. like this.
  9. Vermontcoiner

Vermontcoiner New Member

Sweet, Thanks very much for the info. here are a few more photos, I am a photographer for profession. tomorrow ill get my macro and take some real photos

Attached Files:

10. Vermontcoiner

Vermontcoiner New Member

a few more

Attached Files:

11. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if that would grade cleanly or not. The color is a little dark, and it has a minor rim issue at 7:00. OTOH, it is a key date, and having it in a holder at least certifies it's genuine.

If you're not trying to sell it, I see no real reason to get it certified other than to get confirmation that it's genuine, which you can probably do yourself by consulting the right books and inspecting the die markers. If you're trying to retail it somewhere other than eBay, I think I'd try to move it raw first. In most other scenarios, I think having it in plastic is valuable.

12. Vermontcoiner

Vermontcoiner New Member

I pulled it out of a bag of 700 V's yesterday along with a few other very nice looking ones, they definitely need holders :) I don't think its fake but im not a expert...

Paul M. likes this.
  13. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

Nice score, then. :) I don't see any signs that it's fake, but I don't know enough to say for sure.

NOS likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted