1886 Type I with toning

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Boot, Feb 19, 2015.

1. Boot

Boot Junior Member

Well, I bought this one on eye appeal. Anyone care to comment, grade, venture a sense of value on this 1886 Type I IHC? 1886obv.jpg 1886Rev.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Strange

spirityoda likes this.
  4. Boot

Boot Junior Member

Yup. Some of these were stored in the old sulpher based holders, and toned (over time) in pretty strange ways. I like the effect. I don't "think" this is any garbage toning trick from a bottle of silver nitrate or such.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2015
  5. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

I think it looks like natural toning from a paper envelope. This is a very tricky coin to grade. If the luster is unbroken on the high points, it could be as high as 63 - but I would be more inclined to think this is an AU-58.

Boot likes this.
  6. Boot

Boot Junior Member

Thanks for the feedback physics-fan. I appreciate the candor.

7. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

I don't see anything that really jumps out at me as wear. That lack of diamond detail may hold this one down. Diamonds, after all, are a girl's best friend. Some of these are just plumb weak in the diamonds, however. If we can explain away the lack in the diamond detail, for my money, MS63.

Boot likes this.
  8. Boot

Boot Junior Member

I'd be happy with MS 63. I got in for an XF kinda price. I just liked the look mostly. Its not a key date, but the toning is unique. Appreciate the critique sir.

9. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Boot, I think you got a nice one. I think you got in for EF money because of the lack in the diamond detail. Traditionally, EFs have to have diamonds. However, it's apparent a number of these weren't fully-struck in that area. You tell that when you look at the rest of the coin. If that's wear in that diamond area, why is it the rest of the coin is MS? Do you see? Because the rest of the coin shows lack of any wear, that's just a bad die or bad strike in that diamond area.

Boot likes this.
  10. Boot

Boot Junior Member

I see and hear what you are saying. I think the toning might not have been understood either. One can only command a price that people will give. If the general population sees a coin that is raw, and isn't the traditional BR/RB/RD then they may shy away from it. I was the only one "watching" this coin on e-bay. The toning attracted me. As I looked closer, it became apparent that the coin was in better condition than the price that was being asked for. Now, would you grade it, or just tuck it into your collection?

11. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

I'm a tucker. If you want to know, though, I think it will grade.

Boot likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted