1886 o what would this grade

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by kevinslack, Jun 28, 2009.

1. Mark Feld

Mark Feld Rare coin dealer

To me, both coins, as pictured, look questionable in terms of color. The first one looks AU, in large part, because of the eagle's breast. But the second one looks like it could be uncirculated (though I'd still guess that it's an AU coin which was toned over to try to make to look unc.) To those who say the second coin is definitely AU, where are you seeing obvious wear? I'm not seeing it. Thanks.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. raider34

raider34 Active Member

There is only one coin, just 2 sets of pics. I would agree it looks like someone toned the coin to try to make it look MS. Imo I still say AU55 details AT.

4. Mark Feld

Thanks. As much as I appreciate how the same coin can look vastly different based on two sets of images, I still thought that was two different coins. I saw spots, stains and marks apparent in one set of images that I didn't see in the other, and didn't see any obvious common markers. Of course that begs the question - which set of images, if either, does the coin really look like?

5. coinman0456

coinman0456 Coin Collector

Nice morgan. I don't believe this coin would make the 58 grade. Wear on the Eagles breast is disappointing. Is that rim damage on the REV ?
    In any event, I would venture to say it's a nice AU55. It's a keeper.

6. coinman0456

ok after seeing the new pics I'm going to lower the grade I initially gave from 55 to 50.

Still, not a bad coin. Don't be to disappointed.

The second example I would suggest is an AU58. Another nice Coin.

7. raider34

raider34 Active Member

I agree, from the first pics imo it looked like NT, but from the second set it looks AT. I circled some areas on the reverse that imo show signs of wear.

Attached Files:

8. Mark Feld

I agree that there are signs of wear in the set of images in which you made notations on the reverse. But I didn't see obvious wear in the images that appeared below those.

9. coinman0456

1886-o

Raider, I think they are two separate examples.

10. Mark Feld

I'm glad someone else thinks so - they sure looked like different coins to me. I was thinking that the next to last set of images was of the coin discussed at the beginning of the thread and that the last set of images was of another/different coin. Either way, as posted, it's somewhat confusing.

11. raider34

raider34 Active Member

:eek: You guys are right, that's my mistake I only focused on the second set of pics, and not the last ones. AS Mark said the original pics, and the second set of pics are of the first coin, AND then the last set of pics are a new coin.

12. coinman0456

correct. both pieces are definite keepers, and Kevin should not be overly disappointed with the first example. Extremely difficult if not impossible to locate a MS 86-O "Raw" that would standup to a TPG authenticating it as such.

13. raider34

raider34 Active Member

As for the SECOND morgan :D, I think we would need better pics to accurately guess the grade, for the OP how is the luster in hand?

14. coinman0456

yes mark, it was a bit confusing.:smile

15. kevinslack

kevinslack silvereagle

here is pictures of the secound coin,

Attached Files:

16. Mark Feld

Based on the additional images of the second coin, my guess would be AU55-58 with questionable color.

17. kevinslack

kevinslack silvereagle

ok very body here said the toned coin is not a ms coin, so what im going to do is clean it with acouple of driffent cleaning things without wipeing the coin off with a cloth or anything. just to see if it makes it look better or not, its money down the drain anyway i payed to much for the toned coin. heres before and after on the toned coin

Attached Files:

18. coinman0456

oh kevin, even if you paid a bit much for it, I would not mess with it. But of course if you feel there is a learning experience in "cleaning" the coin, thats surely is up to your discretion. Personally, I would leave it original and take from that experience as your learning curve. If it was sold to you misrepresented as a better grade than what it is, do you not have the right to return it for refund ? did the seller misrepresent the coin as a MS65? and offered to let you have it at a discount ?
    Contact the seller and inform them of your dissatisfaction with the coin and appeal to their integrity to make things right for you. That assertiveness and response from the seller may be the best lessons all would learn from this experience.

Good luck. Regards. Tom

19. Upvalley

Upvalley Senior Member

Probably too late now - he cleaned in the coin...

20. coinman0456

21. Upvalley

Upvalley Senior Member

I liked the toning on the reverse.

Draft saved Draft deleted