1886 O Morgan grade input for grading tier & submission estimate?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by daveg713, Nov 14, 2019.

1. daveg713

daveg713 New Member

I'm still quite a newbie — and though I feel I've improved with my grading, sometimes a coin throws me, as it seems the TPGs grade certain years and mint marks differently. If there's a high population of a certain year & mint mark in MS, the grading seems to be much more stringent. Conversely, low population reports seems to allow for more leeway. Am I correct in this??

• This 1886 O Morgan appears cleaned, yes? (Or no? The obverse bullseye toning is throwing me....)

• Do its marks/fine wear pull it down into AU territory?

Anyway, I'm getting ready to send it off to NGC, and am having a tough time even knowing a ballpark for where this one stands for grading tier and submission fees.

Still so much to learn....and thanks in advance for any feedback!

All the best,
    Dave

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Can you give us photos of both sides from directly overhead? Images taken at an angle tend to hide detracting marks.

Chris

4. HAB Peace 28 2.0

HAB Peace 28 2.0 The spiders are as big as the door

The 1886 O is a conditional rarity in MS, and desirable in high AU. Your coin seems like the strike and details are MS? But unfortunately, it appears to have been cleaned? I am just going by your pics. Hopefully, I am wrong? But I wouldn't get my hopes' up. If I was you? I would still send it in? Good luck.

5. daveg713

daveg713 New Member

Absolutely — here you go, and if you need others, just let me know. Thanks, Chris!

- Dave

Attached Files:

6. cpm9ball

I'd think it would grade MS, but there is such a huge jump from MS63 onward that I don't know how NGC would respond. I can't tell if it has been cleaned.

What do you think, John? @messydesk

Chris

7. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Looks like cleaned and AT

JCKTJK, HAB Peace 28 2.0 and longshot like this.
  8. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

I'm not at all sure that toning is gonna pass.
    Depending on the pic, it looks either AU or cleaned.

JCKTJK likes this.
  9. daveg713

daveg713 New Member

Thanks so much for your input, Chris — I'll put it under the microscope before I send it off for further evidence of cleaning. Worst case (I hope), I'm thinking, AU DETAILS for cleaning and some finer points on grade that I'm missing that drop it into AU...and best case would be something MS?? But I'm at a loss to get a handle on this one. It's definitely pushing my limited grading abilities on a coin that really goes crazy as it climbs MS. Yeah, I really don't know what to make of it, but I've been burned enough and know so little that my expectations are low....

10. daveg713

daveg713 New Member

Toning seems natural to me—but I've been burned on AT before—and I certainly have a lot to learn, so I'd love to hear any further insights on AT on this one. Thanks, everyone, for the feedback!

11. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

Yes, it's not way off, let's get some more opinions....I wish you luck!

12. daveg713

daveg713 New Member

Thanks!

13. coin0709

coin0709 CT Supporter

Please update this post with your plans, especially if it goes to the TPG. I am not an expert grader, but I'd guess MS Details Improperly Cleaned. I dont see the artificial toning signs.

14. daveg713

daveg713 New Member

Thanks so much for your response! Yes, if I had to make an assessment right now, I would lean the same: UNC DETAILS (CLEANED), natural toning. But I'll know more on whether it's been cleaned or not in the next 24-48 hours, after putting it under the microscope....

15. cpm9ball

I'm hoping that John will chime in. Maybe he's at or on his way to the Baltimore show. Isn't it this weekend?

Chris

16. HAB Peace 28 2.0

I have a AU 58. If you would like for me to post some pics of it, to help you out? I gladly will.

Collecting Nut likes this.
  17. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

AU details, AT, possibly also cleaned.

18. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

My guess would be Uncirculated, Details. Looks cleaned with retoning. Not necessarily AT.

19. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

You should. I don't consider that hijacking a thread. That's also very thoughtful of you. And yes, I'm having a minute of complete lunacy.

HAB Peace 28 2.0 likes this.
  20. HAB Peace 28 2.0

Here you go. This is a true AU 58 I purchased a couple years ago? It's nothing better, or nothing worse imo. I would consider this date, for Morgan enthusiasts? A one and done-er. I know I'll never purchase another one lol.
    image.jpg image.jpg
    image.jpg

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
  21. HAB Peace 28 2.0

Thank you Collecting Nut. The last thing I would want to do, is hijack somebody else's thread.

Draft saved Draft deleted