1886 Morgan. Grade and worth?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Josh papineau, May 24, 2020.

1. Josh papineau

Josh papineau New Member

I got this from my great uncle. It looks to be in really good shape. What’s everyone’s thoughts on it and grade and worth? Is it worth getting graded?

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Pretty sure it's not worth grading. The scratches on the reverse would keep it from getting a very high grade, and might keep it from grading at all. The obverse looks like it might have been polished, although it's a little hard to tell from this single photo. (I'm looking at the apparent halos around the hair and stars at the base of Liberty's neck.)

Welcome to CoinTalk!

4. Jeffjay

Jeffjay Well-Known Member

Nice coin. I wouldn't spend the money to get it graded I would use that for picking up another nice Morgan!

rosethe likes this.
  5. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

First, welcome to the neighborhood @Josh papineau !

I was thinking the same thing. I see no evidence of luster. I also would like to see the obverse photo taken from directly overhead. ~ Chris

6. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Not worth grading. The fees would cost more than its value. I would be in a different 2 x 2 as the one it's in seems to have a tear. It has signs of wear and scratches so best to leave ungraded.

Welcome to CT.

7. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

$25 - $30 to buy on e-bay, probably be lucky to get $20 for selling it, keep it.

8. Josh papineau

Josh papineau New Member

Thanks everyone for your opinions.

Draft saved Draft deleted