1886 Half Penny

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by furham, Mar 20, 2023.

1. furham

furham Good Ole Boy

My son found this 1886 Half Penny on the grounds of the Ohio Soldiers & Sailors Orphans Home about 15 years ago. He found it on the ground where there had been some recent excavating. The Home was opened in 1869 and it has always been a closed campus. I sure would like to know the Half Penny Obverse.jpg Half Penny Reverse.jpg story behind how it ended up where it did.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

4. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Nice find for sure. It’s English and that story of how it was where it was found would be wonderful to hear.

furham likes this.
  5. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

I vote to let coins and currency have a voice . . . please. Oh what stories they could tell.

Super cool find, or in my day "bitchen" if I can use that term. In your son's terminology . . . . ?

furham likes this.
  6. furham

furham Good Ole Boy

The history of the Ohio Soldiers and Sailors Orphans Home is amazing. It opened in 1869 shortly after the civil war to house orphans from the war and continued to house orphans from every war until 1995 when it finally closed. At one time it consisted of over 400 acres and was almost completely self sufficient. They had their own farm, church, and school on campus. At one time they housed over 1000 orphans. My wife lived there for 12 years. We spend every 4th of July there for an all school reunion. This is a picture of the Administration Building now housing Athletes in Action. main hall.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted