1886-1888 CC Morgans

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by yankee doodle, Dec 31, 2016.

1. yankee doodle

yankee doodle Member

There is a private production of silver 1886, 1887 and 1888 CC Morgans to commemorate the gap years of the real ones. They are graded gem-proof by NGC and are very attractive. Does anyone know the mintage of these since I do not know the producers to ask. The claim is that the same ''press'' was used to strike the recent issues as the original ones. What is a ''press'' (versus dies)? How do you price these items?
    Blessings to everyone in the New Year!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mynamespat

mynamespat Well-Known Member

4. ddddd

ddddd Member

mynamespat likes this.
  5. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

The press is the machine which holds the dies in place for striking the planchets.

Happy Gnu Year to yew, two!

Chris

6. dcarr

dcarr Mint-Master

The strangest thing about those (to me, anyway), is that NGC "certified" them.
    If I had made them, the Liberty Head and Eagle would have been a lot more like the original.

7. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

So these were struck on the still working press #1 at the Nevada State Museum in Carson City?

8. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Apparently. Given that they're labeled "Commemorative," I can see how (in addition, obviously, to some baksheesh) how the Carson City people would have authorized it. The design is just far enough off of the original to irritate me, though.

hotwheelsearl likes this.
  9. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Looks child like and amateurish.......the Chinese could do a better job.

10. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Hmm. I haven't spoken with Ken Hopple in a while but I might just have to shoot him an email. I have a handful of the modern commemoratives they strike with various designs using the CC mm

11. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

So you would have tried to make exact copies of someone else's work then, huh?

12. SuperDave

It is gonna tick me off if I have to put someone I admire as much as you on Ignore simply because you won't let go of this.

baseball21 likes this.
  13. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Up to you, my friend, but we don't have to agree on everything to appreciate one another. Just ask @Cascade . Met him and @calcol this summer at the ANA and we had a blast.
    proxy.jpg

14. SuperDave

I don't mind disagreeing with you on this issue. Heck, Cascade and I are on opposite ends of the political spectrum, and we manage to get along quite nicely.

But it speaks poorly of someone who insists on adding a "special ingredient" to the Cheerios every_single_time anything remotely resembling the disagreeable topic is raised. It's petty.

15. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

He and I are on opposite sides of the political realm as well, haha. But I don't bombard every thread. I pick and choose. I have a simple point and stance that I try to make. Most folks here know that's just where I stand on it.

16. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

By sheer coincidence, that's about the going rate for one Carr 1909-O overstrike -- and when you look at these in comparison to Carr's work, it's easy to see why the prices shake out that way.

I'm also surprised to see that the 1964-D Morgan overstrikes have been going for $150, $200, or even higher -- even though they're still available at the original issue price directly from Moonlight Mint. It sort of makes me wonder why I'm not buying up all the remaining ones just to flip them on eBay. Must be Kurt's voice over my right shoulder... :angelic:

Dave Waterstraat and ddddd like this.
  17. ddddd

ddddd Member

Some other things to note: these CC replicas usually have a higher issue price compared to Carr pieces, are backed by the marketing teams of MCM and GovMint, and are certified by a major TPG. Yet Carr pieces are valued higher in the aftermarket. Thoughts to ponder...

Dave Waterstraat and -jeffB like this.
  18. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

As far as the execution of the design is concerned, yuck. GovMint? Yuck, again.

19. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

But its a "must have for any serious Morgan collector" :p

20. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

21. charlietig

charlietig Well-Known Member

I already have, I could not take his constant posts like that, all he is doing is making a fool out of himself.

Draft saved Draft deleted