1885CC GSA w/ reverse strike thru

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by DysfunctionalVeteran, Nov 13, 2016.

1. DysfunctionalVeteran

DysfunctionalVeteran Oddly enough

Cascade pointed out the strike thru to me. I thought it was something with the dies, but I was wrong.

What TPG should I send her to for grading and attribution??
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Ngc or Anacs for grading as they put a ribbon sticker on it and it will fit nicely back in the box plus errors cost an arm and a leg at pcgs & with gsa's pgcs encapsulates the entire thing in something that looks like you want to take your coins scuba diving. I only recommend pcgs for gsa's of 4-figure value

4. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

Anacs, because they are cheaper...
    I've seen Morgans with really weak strikes almost as flat as this, due to that fact, personally, I'd rather have a strike thru on a different part of the coin . Just my 2 cent

5. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

ditto on ANACS

chascat likes this.
  6. C G Memminger

C G Memminger Active Member

obverse chewed up. looks like a 61-2. how much additional value results when a strike-thru error is noted on the slab---but is obvious? Agree on meh location of error. Best GSA s/t I ever saw was an 81 a blank spot shaped like the end of a Popsicle stick---obscuring the B in pluribus and tip of a wheat flower.

7. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

I would probably not bother grading this one. There is almost no price difference from 61-63, and I don't see this grading 64. The strike-thru is not terribly exciting one way or the other.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  8. STU

STU Active Member

boy sure is a lot of facial damage a coin like this I would not have but that's only my opinion

9. DysfunctionalVeteran

It was free so why would i say no?

Santinidollar and JPeace$ like this.
  10. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

:wideyed::):singing::cigar:

11. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

I'll give you $5.00 for it. Instant profit!! LOL ;):p

DysfunctionalVeteran likes this.
  12. STU

STU Active Member

that's the only way I would take if it was free

13. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

You do realize this is a $500+ coin, right? One can discount most of the marks on the cheek which look "black" - that's what digital imagery does to frost breaks - so I'm figuring it having a good shot at 63. A TPG'd 1885-CC (the lowest mintage of all Carson City Morgans, including 1889) GSA in 63 retails around $700. The only reason they're that cheap is because more than half of the mintage was stored and released in the GSA sales.

Santinidollar likes this.
  14. STU

STU Active Member

its junk to me don't care about what its worth its only worth what a person is willing to pay and unless its free I wouldn't want it that's how I have been for 50 years of collecting

15. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Oh please

16. STU

STU Active Member

well you have yours and I have mine I am hard to please and junk is not it

17. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Give me a break. If this was offered at a hundred or two you would be a fool to not take it. Laying on the hyperbole pretty thick aren't we

18. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

I don't have an '85 CC. That one would be welcome in my collection. I agree with SuperDave's analysis.

19. STU

STU Active Member

I would not take it as I see it is not collectable and junk to me and by the way I have a few of these in better shape again my likes are just higher than others I was smart when these were offered and got my share of them at a very easy price my grand kids will enjoy the fruits of my labor and expense

20. DysfunctionalVeteran

If my father hadnt given me this id still grab it at $500. Youd be hard pressed to find an 85cc GSA under $720 ish. At least thats the cheapest ive seen lately. The strike thru just adds to the desired effect for me.

One of these days ill get a good photo off all the mint "escapees".

21. DysfunctionalVeteran

STU...

Is this one youd reject too?

[​IMG]

Or this one??

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted