1885-O with a very interesting surface... (Warning Large Images)

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by jtlee321, Dec 19, 2020.

1. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

That is one of the funnest aspects of this hobby, finding those coins that have a cool factor. Something that makes them stand out from the rest. I guess that's why I love PL/DMPL's, crumbled dies, heavy die erosion, heavy die file lines, etc... If it looks different, I'll probably buy it. LOL

Dave Waterstraat likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jtlee321

Leftover emery powder was a consideration. From the shape and texture of the impressions, I would not doubt if it was a combination of sawdust, emery dust and oils. It's almost as if they polished the die hastily after the clashing and put it back into production as soon as possible, not taking the time to properly clean the die prior to the start up of production. They probably figured it would clean itself out everything would be fine. It's one of those mysteries that we may never know the answer for. But, that's what makes this coin so darn interesting.

ksparrow likes this.
  4. jtlee321

When I started out shooting coins, I used my DSLR along with a standard lens and a set of extension tubes. Those extension tubes are what allow you to get much closer to the coin. They also are not a budget breaker and can often be found for well under $100.00. All the pieces can for a full coin photography setup can be assembled over time for minimal $. @rmpsrpms sells complete setups, but is also very generous with his recommendations on equipment. He has contributed to numerous threads on another forum that talk about inexpensive gear. Here is a link to that forum.

https://www.coincommunity.com/forum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=81

5. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

I enjoyed the post and all the answers thanks everyone. The one answer that stood out and intrigued me was sawdust, I would have never given it a thought, wow.

jtlee321 and COOPER12 like this.
  6. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

I don't expect people to go here for answers first, but I've been slowly adding a introductory paragraph of background or overview info about each Morgan dollar date and mint to VAMWorld in an effort to make the content a little broader than just the varieties themselves. The sawdust thing is one thing I added to the 1885-O page when I wrote its intro. I add a small handful every week, so feel free to browse the date pages and see how dates and mints differ from each other.

7. jtlee321

Sorry to revive this old thread. But I finally came across the mate to this VAM-25. It's a beautiful PCGS MS-65 VAM-25a. The obverse is amazing with the shattered die. The crescent toning on the obverse certainly helps with the eye appeal. I've been on the hunt for this VAM for quite a while now.

Looking it over it has quite a bit of small flecks of saw dust still embedded in the surface. :)

1885-O-Morgan-Dollar-Obverse-JLNP.jpg

1885-O-Morgan-Dollar-Reverse-JLNP.jpg

1885-O-Morgan-Dollar-PCGS-MS-65-OGH-Slab-Front-JLNP.jpg

8. KDtheCollector

KDtheCollector New Member

I know this is a couple years old post, but I've been racking my brain and searcing high and low for why both an 84-o and 85-o if mpine are both practically flawless coins except the fields look like sand paper or what I now know is sawdust possibly. Nothing on the devices but the fields are a rough texture. Full cartwheels uncirculated beauties if you don't mind the sawdusted sandblasted appearance lol. Thank you so much. I don't know why it took so long for my search criteria to bring me to this post.

9. KDtheCollector

I know this is a couple years old post, but I've been racking my brain and searcing high and low for why both an 84-o and 85-o if mpine are both practically flawless coins except the fields look like sand paper or what I now know is sawdust possibly. Nothing on the devices but the fields are a rough texture. Full cartwheels uncirculated beauties if you don't mind the sawdusted sandblasted appearance lol. Thank you so much. I don't know why it took so long for my search criteria to bring me to this post.

10. KDtheCollector

Draft saved Draft deleted