1885 morgan proof value uncirculated

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Jesse P, May 9, 2010.

1. Jesse P

Jesse P eagle eye

hello guys i went to a auction on my way back from ny city today and saw a uncirculated 1885 shiny proof morgan doller.get this i bid 35 bucks and won it!!!!it is out of my league on grading it has one minor scratch on the obverse near her eye but looks almost like it was made this way any way its a pure luck find in the sticks of p.a. loli will post a pic asap to show you guys it has no i mean no micro scratches anywear on her not one but near her eye like i stated.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ltrain

Ltrain New Member

Could it be a counterfeit?

4. Jesse P

Jesse P eagle eye

View attachment untitled.bmp

5. Jesse P

Jesse P eagle eye

6. Ltrain

Ltrain New Member

Ok... now how about the rest of the coin?

7. Jesse P

Jesse P eagle eye

8. Jesse P

Jesse P eagle eye

9. Jesse P

Jesse P eagle eye

well what do you guys think pros?

10. Jesse P

Jesse P eagle eye

i will take better pics tom i am using my cell driving home there crap pics but you can clearly see her shine and beauty this is the best morgan i own by far and its a proof with high clarity and shine i lucked out on this one.

11. Ltrain

Ltrain New Member

I think it's too good to be true. Counterfeit or harshly cleaned. But I'm naturally a pessimist, we'll see once you get real pictures up.

12. Jesse P

Jesse P eagle eye

its ok to to have your thoughts but im looking for answers from the pros .no offense i have close to 90,000 in invested coins and bills and take it pretty serious.its no fake and the pics will tell the tale.thanks for looking and your input .

13. LostDutchman

LostDutchman Under Staffed & Overly Motivated Supporter

I don't think it's a proof from those pictures... maybe prooflike... but I don't think it's a proof... I need better pics to be sure tho. ;)

14. Duke Kavanaugh

Duke Kavanaugh The Big Coin Hunter

Yowsas!!!
    90k invested in coins and you can't grade them...
    Sounds a bit risky to me. Study up on the grading to know what your getting is worth it.

And yea a better picture would be good and we can give you a better value. Just shiny could mean polished which hurts the value.

15. Duke Kavanaugh

Duke Kavanaugh The Big Coin Hunter

Oh yea and no it's not a proof. But prooflike is possible.

16. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

You did not buy a proof US issued Morgan dollar.

17. Jesse P

Jesse P eagle eye

o yes i did buy a proof morgan doller philly mint was were the proofs were made. i have proof [like ]morgans used but this is mirror like shine its not been polished it has no micro scratches the tale sign of being cleaned it is flawless and yes better pics are needed as i said they are from my cell and im on the net on my cell .and yikes im looking for an expert opinion once the pics are a little clearer and yes i need help making decisions on valued coins.from experts and serious collectors not lonley critics that get off on making fun of people.cause they have no coins.yikes yikes

18. mecha1166

mecha1166 Junior Member

i would not worry about what other people have as far as coins.
    post some clear closeups and i assure you the experts will give you their honest assessment!

19. LostDutchman

LostDutchman Under Staffed & Overly Motivated Supporter

I'm no expert but I have owned over 75 proof Morgan silver dollars... And I'm pretty sure this isn't a proof...

20. JJK78

JJK78 Member

Need much better pics to say for sure but it does not look like a proof to me... If you did get a proof morgan which is probably worth a few thousand bucks for $35 good for you, I wish I was that lucky. But I think it is more likely that it is a MS prooflike morgan worth maybe a couple hundred... still a good score but as I said only good pics will tell...

21. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

Believe what you want, but I can already tell that you are likely the living embodiment of the phrase "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink". Have fun.

Draft saved Draft deleted