1885-0 mint/coin/human caused coin issue

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by DysfunctionalVeteran, Sep 23, 2016.

1. DysfunctionalVeteran

DysfunctionalVeteran Oddly enough

Description says die jam. I'm not sure what's going on with the edge or if it's reflection of some sort. What say you all?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

I want to say pmd but the weakness of the 8 and the near gone 5 says maybe strikethrough instead of pmd. Sure looks like pushed metal though indicating pmd.

4. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

NOT MINT MADE. You have a multi-gouged damage coin. :( Same "tool" used to damage the date.

5. DysfunctionalVeteran

What's pmd stand for?

paddyman98 likes this.
  6. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

PMD is used a lot here on Cointalk.. very important to know
    PMD - Post Mint Damage or
    PSD - Post Strike Damage

In other words.. not an error

7. Insider

@paddyman98 I saw your photo w/Fred. I thought you were much older than you are.

paddyman98 likes this.
  8. DysfunctionalVeteran

That clears it up, thanks. Makes senses now. If there was a jam as stated there should be other damage in more places from unjamning it. At least that's how it works when I unstick things.

paddyman98 likes this.
  9. DysfunctionalVeteran

@Cascade did you see the other cracked 21 I picked up?

10. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

I dunno did I?

11. DysfunctionalVeteran

Nothing too speshull
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cascade likes this.
  12. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

13. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

I didn't notice the flattened rims on the last one.

14. DysfunctionalVeteran

I'm not sure if that's just a reflection or if that's just the coin itself. I asked for clarification. If they are flattened out I find it interesting enough to take a chance for under $30.

15. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

They can do wonders with Photoshop these days, and it's much cheaper than plastic surgery.:cool::cool::cool:

Chris;););)

16. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Contemplate the direction of the lighting against the "jamming" we're discussing. The coin is lit from about 9:30 or 10:00 - a little above "directly to the left." These features are reflecting from the side away from that light, meaning they're depressions on the coin. If they projected from the surface of the coin, the side of these V-shaped impressions closest to the light would be what's reflecting it.

If they're negatives on the coin, they would have to be positives on the die. Something would have had to add metal to the die in order to achieve this. To me, there's not much chance the coin was struck this way; I can't think of a scenario which would create this on a die.

17. Insider

Guys, Look at the OP's coin. This is simple damage. My wife (a somewhat advanced collector) just brought me coffee and pointed out an easy way to tell.

Look at the star on the right. The star is raised on the coin. Note that the similar mark to those on the rest of the date has damaged the star and "pushed-in" the relief. Case closed.

Draft saved Draft deleted