1884 Snow-1/ODD-001, "star in shield"

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by KurtS, Mar 2, 2015.

1. KurtS

KurtS Die variety collector

I found this on eBay yesterday--if you look carefully at the seller's pic, the markers are there (arrow). It's an interesting die blunder--it makes me wonder how/why it happened--it almost looks like someone hacked on the die with a sharp tool. :bored: There is also roughness and deep abrasions to the portrait--perhaps they were made from removing rust to the die? Two obverses are paired with the reverse die. I suspect I have the obverse with an MPD too. More pictures can be seen here.

In case you're wondering, this one was cherrypicked. There were other bidders, but I still got it for an average catalog price for this grade. So far it looks pretty good--but I'll post nicer pics when it arrives. :D

[​IMG]
    MS picture of the ODD-001 from the site linked above

Paddy54 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Taxidermist

Taxidermist Collector of US/IL/RU/DE

Top part of the shield looks doubled on seller photo but not in reality, it seems.

4. KurtS

If you follow the link above, the shield has some damage along the top which might look like doubling in the ebay picture.

5. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Two thumbs up on that one Kurt great find!

KurtS likes this.
  6. Paddy54

Kurt if you ever run across another one of these let me know I would be interested. Start calling you hawkeye. :)

KurtS likes this.
  7. KurtS

LOL...sure thing Paddy. This one should arrive today. If I like it, I'll pass on the next one to you. Sometimes I have big runs of finds. :)

Paddy54 likes this.
  8. Paddy54

And if you do..... I'll score you a nice shield nickel variety :)

Draft saved Draft deleted