1884 p morgan silver dollar

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Daulton, Jun 13, 2019.

1. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

Looks real, just polished to death.

Daulton likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

Your photos look like they were taken at an angle. It would be easier to see what you have if photos of both sides were taken directly over the coin on a solid background. IMO judging by the photos it probably would grade in the XF range. Looks polished. It's a very common date and can't understand why anyone would take the trouble of making a counterfeit. (Not even China).

4. Daulton

Daulton Active Member

Thank you I just purchased it today, I assumed it was polished just wanted to know more about it!

5. Tlberg

Tlberg Well-Known Member

I'm new at this - Did the make a Morgan Pewter Dollar in 1884?

6. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

No. All Morgan dollars are composed of .900 silver.100 copper. Net weight .77344 oz. of pure silver.

7. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

It fooled you, didn't it? I hope you didn't pay too much for it. No! I take that back. You should always buy a coin when you don't know what it is worth. Yeah, sure! You want to know what it will grade when it looks like it is a problem coin...….even from those lousy photos. And, I'll bet you've never heard of Jinghuashei or Big Tree Mint.

Chris

8. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

@Tlberg I strongly recommend buying a copy of A Guide Book of United States Coins. Called the Red Book, it is filled with invaluable info on US coinage. The pricing section may not as accurate as other sources, but it has weights, compositions, mintages, short historical sections, and even some basic info on grading parameters for circulated coins. Chances are that when somebody posts the mintage of a of a particular date, or the weights, they got it out of a redbook (That's what I do).

I would be willing to bet that nearly all of the experienced collectors of US coins had a redbook when they started. It's the best $10-15 a new collector of US coins can spend on the hobby.

9. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

ditto

10. Tlberg

Tlberg Well-Known Member

Ty @Oldhoopster - I'll put it on my BD list - "it's polished to death" so it looks black/greyish because it's reflecting

11. RICHARD K

RICHARD K MISTY & SASHA

I didn't think there was a SP coin in MORGANS? lets try MS 68

Daulton likes this.
  12. Daulton

Daulton Active Member

IMG_20190614_103326235.jpg Here is an overhead photo for the guy who asked, not very good crappy camera. IMG_20190614_103319809.jpg

13. GenX Enthusiast

GenX Enthusiast Forensic grammatician

Cleaned with XF details. Worth melt, I think. You can get uncirculated coins from this year and MM starting around 30-40$;)

14. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Can you say, in very general terms if that makes you more comfortable, what makes you think this coin is fake? I don't see the denticle problems, mushy lettering, or odd textures I associate with fakes; I just see a very harshly polished coin.

If it's got some impossible combination of die markers, say so, and I'll accept your judgement -- I wouldn't expect to recognize them myself.

Daulton likes this.
  15. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Try these:
    IMG_20190614_103319809 - Edited.jpg IMG_20190614_103326235 - Edited.jpg

Daulton likes this.
  16. Tlberg

Tlberg Well-Known Member

I think we're looking at 2 different coins - second one isn't shiney at all....

17. Daulton

Daulton Active Member

Definitely the same coin my friend

18. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Looks more genuine. When you post photogs, my friend, do it so in this fashion (straight on, perpendicular/on the square). Your first shots appeared 'fake' to me.

Daulton likes this.
  19. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

It's no doubt the same coin.
    When someone polishes and alters the surfaces like this the details are gonna look mushy. And the coin look odd. That is what has happened here.
    Coins like these are usually worth about melt. Maybe a couple a bucks over. It has lost any numismatic value it had.
    IMO a fake could be polished to try and cover up the fact that it is. It is worth more money if you can get it to pass as real.

Tlberg likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted