1884-O questionable toning VAM 13?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by GenX Enthusiast, Mar 6, 2019.

1. GenX Enthusiast

GenX Enthusiast Forensic grammatician

I got this ICG graded coin at auction, having recently decided to steer clear of the ungraded coins. I bought three raw that were photographed in such a way as to hide cheek issues. Anyway, there is NO WAY this coin would cross over at its present grade, but it's got nifty, if not questionable, toning and what appears to be VAM 13 O/O centered high. I checked VAMworld and because there doesn't appear to be doubling on the ear, it'd appear to be lucky 13;)
    Anyway, I wonder if I'm not putting too much stock in the slab, mainly that this particular company would catch artificial toning. This coin doesn't scare me too much, but the same seller just finished an auction with some seriously questionable stuff, graded by a fella in Florida, i.e perfect, non gradual, white patches surrounded by deep monocolor, as if a spray painter had laid a shaped cloth over a part of the coin to create the contrast.
    (Dang-hit wrong button and posted - wanted to include this link)
    Link to Vamworld pics.
    http://ec2-13-58-222-16.us-east-2.compute.amazonaws.com/wiki/1884-O_VAM-29
    SingleShot0230.jpg SingleShot0229.jpg SingleShot0231.jpg

longshot likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GenX Enthusiast

GenX Enthusiast Forensic grammatician

Here's the coin I was talking about that kinda makes me doubt the integrity of the fella. Does it inspire confidence? Morgie.jpg

Legomaster1 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted