1884 CC GSA morgan - what ya think

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Lugia, Aug 9, 2011.

1. Lugia

Lugia ye olde UScoin enthusiast

alright so i had been putting aside money for a trip to chicago tomorrow when a friend asked me if i wanted to goto an antique mall - sure not that i expected to see much. so after i was pretty much done looking at everything - a old rca victor tv and old proof sets/barbers i decided there really wasnt anything i wanted to buy. my friend mentions some gsa morgans without the boxes in a case that had some large cents i didnt care for. i took a look because the person was right next to me to open the case and i was quite amazed. it would probably only grade 63 - 64 if i was lucky but i dont think you see too many GSA toners. it costs me 205 and i already know from the list i had written down for looking at stuff in chicago i wasnt going to find anything this good. the pictures dont quite show the toning for what it is going from violet/blue on the left to green on the right but i wanna know what you CTers think about it.

[​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jhinton

jhinton Well-Known Member

I think you got a good deal. I would pay that for it any day of the week. Nice pickup!

4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

That isn't a bad price if it will grade 63. I can't tell if those are roller marks on the reverse or if they are striations on the planchet. If they're roller marks they might affect the grade a bit.

As a rule, toned GSA's are placed in a case that simply says "SILVER DOLLAR" beneath it. If they are free of toning, you will see them in a case that says "UNCIRCULATED SILVER DOLLAR" beneath it.

Since this is one of those wide-bodied posts where the text is about 9 times as wide as the photos, this will be my last post since I don't like to scroll back and forth to read anything.

Chris

5. Lugia

Lugia ye olde UScoin enthusiast

yes it simply says SILVER DOLLAR beneath the dollar. i believe the marks youre talking about on the reverse are on the plastic. they just happened to show up because i was using sunlight. if the obverse was as good as the reverse i bet you it could grade 66.

i know what youre talking about with the threads getting super wide for no reason. i dont know what browser youre using but i suggest clearing all your settings. i know thats helped me in the past.

this probably doesnt mean anything since im not one of them VAM guys but i noticed a extremely fine die crack between the star and O in ONE on the reverse.

EDIT: i always post some crappy pictures first but anyway these are alot better.

[​IMG]

6. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

I used to get those "wide body" posts. This one is normal for me. In fact, I haven't had that problem in months.

7. BUncirculated

BUncirculated Well-Known Member

I think you did good price wise, as 63 and 64 GSAs are running from $240-$288 and you got it for MS60 price. Good score :thumb:

8. AdamL

AdamL Well-Known Member

The obverse does bring it down a little bit IMO. But I think its probably still a 63. Pretty coin!

9. Merc Crazy

Merc Crazy Bumbling numismatic fool

A 63 and well worth the $205. I'd probably have bought it for a good shot more than that.

10. Doug21

Doug21 Coin Hoarder

We like it too !

11. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

Love the colors!!

12. Coinguy56

Coinguy56 Member

I think you got a great deal, I'd pay that amount for that coin. It's got real nice toning, I'd say the toning might bump up the value a bit if it's booming. And I've heard of Morgans before with nice toning get bumped up in price by a long shot just because of their toning. But, you always buy the coin and not the slab or holder it's in, based on it's eye appeal.

13. Merc Crazy

Merc Crazy Bumbling numismatic fool

It's also tough to find CC's with toning like that.

14. Cmcart

Cmcart Well-Known Member

I think you got a great morgan:smile

15. Vess1

Vess1 CT SP VIP

Good price, great coin. Would love to have that one in my collection.

Draft saved Draft deleted