1884 10 Ore

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by jbyers23, Dec 31, 2014.

1. jbyers23

jbyers23 Member

I was going through some coins last week and stumbled across a vf+ 1884 10 ore Denmark coin. I was surprised by the list value, but it doesn't seem like they really sell for anything close to that price. I will post pictures of it later when I get home from work.

My questions are: Why are the list prices so over inflated? Where or what is the best way to sell it? I don't collect Denmark coins and I was going to just sell it as an auction on eBay starting at a penny. Is this a bad idea?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

people can ask what they want, but if it's a very common coin then it will not get that much. It all depends on grade and how many were minted ?

4. Siberian Man

Siberian Man Senior Member

It is strange, but it is fact: a coins of Denmark are very nice but aren't very popular in Europe. And that is why they aren't expensive. As for me, I collecting a Danish coins since my childhood and have a big collection.
    Regards.

5. jbyers23

jbyers23 Member

I just don't understand why the KM says it should be worth at least $185, but they are selling for a fraction of that online.

6. brg5658

brg5658 Supporter! Supporter

KM is often off (sometimes by orders of magnitude) on their guide values compared to actual prices paid for coins in the market. It's not restricted to Danish coins...a couple recent actual sale prices of a coin always trump the supposed value of a coin according to a Krause guide.

Krause is a guide for value, just like any other coin guide. The reality can be no where near the guide (and in both directions -- sometimes KM also reports values that are way to low based on recent sales and changes in demand).

jbyers23 likes this.
  7. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

+1 yup some times the Krause catalogs prices are right on. most other times the real market value is always off. the real market values come off of what the coins have sold for recently. all depends on rarity and grade.

8. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

When I buy world coins I always use the bottom condition's book value as the basis for the coin no matter the condition. Krause's values jump a lot as condition increases, but in most online auctions the prices mostly flatline. There are exceptions to a certain extent, but if Krause says a coin is worth $10 in F, it will probably sell for near that in AU.

jbyers23 likes this.
  9. jbyers23

jbyers23 Member

Well thank you everyone for all your input! Sorry I forgot to add pictures yesterday. Here they are. I also went ahead and just listed it for a penny on ebay. I'll see what happens!

10. jbyers23

jbyers23 Member

Okay after waiting for 10 minutes it says my pictures are to large =/

But you can see pictures on eBay. Not sure if I'm allowed to post a link to it or not so I won't just to be safe.

Draft saved Draft deleted