1883 V nickel "no Cents"

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by William Horton, Jan 30, 2021.

1. Robert Ransom

Robert Ransom Well-Known Member

What in the world are you talking about? You need a little more research, make that a lot more research.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Do you mean it's gold? :D

yakpoo and Kentucky like this.
  4. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

I got an idea. Plate it in gold leaf and sell it as a $5 gold. :)

yakpoo likes this.
  5. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

I wonder if a coin that was actually gold plated in 1883 might sell for a premium.

Robert Ransom likes this.
  6. atcarroll

atcarroll Well-Known Member

Are they asking for thousands, or actually selling at that price?

7. Robert Ransom

Only if you can trace ownership.

8. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

slackaction1 likes this.
  9. William Horton

William Horton New Member

Robert I purchased from GN coin and they claim it’s original and not cleaned but I will check it with my 16 mpx Nikon

Robert Ransom likes this.
  10. Robert Ransom

Here is my problem. You have the coin, not me. I have to rely on the info. you supply. The first set of photos had glare and made it difficult to determine details. My original opinion was $50 - $75 in an uncleaned state. You later indicate you paid $14 for the coin from a dealer. I then restate my opinion based upon your comment because I think the dealer knew or suspected the coin was cleaned and sold it for $14. When I opine a price, I mean what I believe you could expect to sell the coin for on eBay. You, now, post a photo of the coin which shows it in a completely different manner with a hint of golden plating. It might be a "Racketeer" nickel, but at this point, I don't know what to think since I don't have the coin in hand.
    PS, Did you call and ask them if it was cleaned after you received answers from us?

11. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

I think old Josh Tatum was a busy boy before they nabbed him. But then how can you tell it was one of his, or some, I don't know, Chinese fabrication?

12. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

13. William Horton

William Horton New Member

Kevin Mader, I emailed the dealer regarding this nickel and he said”We buy and sell thousands of coins per month. We do not clean or alter our coins”

14. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

The obverse looks nice. Better images will get you better answers.

yakpoo likes this.
  15. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

The problem with that answer, while true, still leaves the possibility that they buy the problem coins for cheap, then do nothing to them except sell them as problem free at a large profit. They can honesty say they do not alter or clean the coins themselves, but that doesn't say anything about whether they sold you a cleaned or altered coin.

Kentucky, yakpoo, Martha Lynn and 3 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted