1883-P (High Grade) Help Needed

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Klipse, Apr 27, 2016.

1. Klipse

Klipse New Member

Hey everyone. I came across this 1883-P V nickel is beautiful shape. What would you grade this coin? Took two pictures of each side. Thanks! DSCN2586.jpg DSCN2579.jpg DSCN2549.jpg DSCN2560.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Welcome to CT. Not my area but I'd say MS-63. Love that die crack on the obverse. It also has a two on the reverse. :)

4. Markus1959

Markus1959 Well-Known Member

AU 55 dipped?

Last edited: Apr 27, 2016
  5. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

I agree with AU55, but I don't know about dipped. I'm wondering if the images aren't overexposed or the white balance is off.

Markus1959 likes this.
  6. Markus1959

Markus1959 Well-Known Member

Yeah - didn't give it a thought about the coins exposure or lighting.

7. harris498

harris498 Accumulator

I'm at MS62 on that coin.
    Unfortunately, 1883 NC nickels are not very scarce in uncirculated grades - many were saved.

8. Klipse

Klipse New Member

Sorry about the bad lighting. it still has quite a bit of its original luster. I wanted to photograph it under enough light to make out all the details. The discoloration is not near as drastic as in the pictures. I'll try for a better picture, but thanks for the input everyone!

9. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

High end AU, old cleaning, no dip.

10. Klipse

Klipse New Member

Hope this helps. DSCN2587.jpg DSCN2592.jpg DSCN2600.jpg DSCN2602.jpg

11. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

The coin in my opinion has been cleaned , LDS as the strike and die crack shows , AU. However it is a rpd you can see the foot of the 1 as well as the inner loop of the 3 show . Finger print on obv. These are very common Mintage 5,474,300.

12. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

I don't see evidence of wear on the coin. There are fingerprints, and some unattractive haziness/toning - but I don't see actual wear. I would grade it 63 - the marks on the cheek hurt it a bit, and the strike is rather weak (especially the reverse). Luster looks good, which brings it up some - but the eye appeal is neutral-to-negative (from the fingerprint and hazing).

Paul M. likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted