1883 O toned Morgan

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by EdGs, May 6, 2017.

1. EdGs

EdGs Member

This one had been put away for some time. I just couldn't quite capture the colors in the toning. Is there anything special about this one?
    IMG_20170504_112439309_HDR.jpg IMG_20170504_112317859.jpg

Last edited: May 6, 2017
    charlietig and spirityoda like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. steve.e

steve.e Cherry picker

Cool coin!!!!

4. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Very nice specimen nice tone both obv. And rev. A vam 1 F 3 I believe an R 6
    Will wait for one of the vampire's here to confirm

fish4uinmd likes this.
  5. EdGs

EdGs Member

I hope that is a good thing. Would it be worth it sending it to get slabbed?

There is a golden hue to the front witha bluish hue near the edge. On the reverse, the bluish hue is much stronger. I am going to keep trying to get better shots of it.

6. Paddy54

Well I will admit I am not the best to advise on vams......but even a blind squirrel finds a nut once and awhile :)
    Regardless of the vam I would slab this one personally . It's a pretty coin and if I am correct a R-6 coin. That's pretty sweet in an R factor .
    @SuperDave
    @Cascade
    @heavycam.monstervam
    @jtlee321
    There called out the big guns.....
    Nice coin

7. EdGs

EdGs Member

Thank you for the kind words. I wouldn't know a vam if it bit me....except that there are many. I got this one at an auction at a local coin dealer about 15 years ago. Didn't pay much at all for it $15-$20 I think. I dont recall it being toned when I got it, but it has been stored away and been through a move or two. When I pulled it out, I though it looked cool. I had to post it, especially after seeing some of the beautiful toners you guys have shown.

8. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Looks like a 64 but tuff to tell with the darkish toning. Try vam 21a

9. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

I don't see anything funny. It's every bit MS. It's even a crisp strike for this series. I like the toning. It wouldn't surprise me if it graded out MS64. I'd personally like it in an MS65 holder.

Last edited: May 7, 2017
    Paddy54 likes this.
  10. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Oh wait. There looks like there may be a clash just left of the top-right leaf cluster.

11. EdGs

EdGs Member

More pics

IMG_20170507_240317402_HDR.jpg IMG_20170507_240813361_HDR.jpg

12. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Even if it grades MS64, I don't think it would be worth the cost of grading.

Chris

13. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Yeah, that's really looking like a clash, it's around the top-right leaf cluster.

14. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

That is a common clash. It's caused by the "cap vee". Keep in mind that the most important clashes cause letter transfers. The leading edge of the eagle's right wing (viewer's left) caused the clash on Liberty's neck, and just below it is where the OP should be looking for the letter transfer of the "n" from IGWT.

Chris

15. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Valuing toners gives me fits. But considering how much a lot of toners go for, it might be worth slabbing to get confirmation it is natural toning. Especially if you think you'd like to sell it one day.

Last edited: May 7, 2017
    Seattlite86 likes this.
  16. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

I like the eagle side toning

17. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

Yup... looks natural! :D

[​IMG]

18. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

I like the looks of the color. I could not quite nail down a grade for it nor VAM it from the images. I just get the feeling the surfaces are a little rougher than they appear. The reverse on the second image makes me feel more along the lines of a 63. But I do like the toning on the reverse a little more than the obverse.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  19. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

Close, you nailed the reverse die, but the 1F3 doesnt show obverse clashing.
    21a i believe it is, which shows the clash at neck and is the same reverse as 1F-1-2-3

20. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

Heres a nice shortcut for eliminating vams.
    Circled here, is whats known as the bearded eagle clash. Vam world has a list of the known specimens for each date. So, if your coin has this, it can really save alot of time.
    Its not an end all be all test, but it really helps sometimes, especially if they only have 2 or 3 bearded eagle clash 4 the date your looking up. Go to Vam world and type in bearded eagle into the search bar.
    And that concludes yer lesson fer the day. 20170507_072854.jpg 20170507_072916.jpg
    I like to edumacate others, i reckon.:bucktooth:

Paddy54 likes this.
  21. Paddy54

Yeah I did look at the 21 a and tired eyes talked me out of it.
    However to the op it's still a very attractive coin will it grade high no, but the color and grade would be enough for me to have it graded. Some here are collectors, some dealers, some are both. That said there's nothing wrong being either. To me at times there are items in life that I don't want to part with. Other's items either I have no attachments and really don't care if I sell them off.
    There's 2 coins in my collection both are Lincoln cents. There value most probably a cent,but I will never part with either....and I don't collect Lincolns!
    I guess it's a personal choice to leave it as is ,or spend the money and have it slabbed .
    Maybe it's something that you would want someone else to have after you're gone?
    Guess what I'm saying is value is often more than dollars and sense. Nice coin.

heavycam.monstervam likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted