1883 O Morgan Vam help...

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Paddy54, Apr 21, 2016.

1. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

so I was going through some more of my Raw Morgans and ran across this nice looking 1883 O. So I was wow with those clashes this one should be easy to get the vam.....1.5 hours later after going through every vam listed on Vam World, I gave up. So any ideas from my images? the nice clash beside the left wing, the hook clash under the eagles chin and neck. " That I believed to be a dead give away" MM or placement of said MM.
    Date and of course all those lovely die cracks to chart and lead you to the correct vam. NOT ok here's the images any help is appreciated in advance. :) 1883 O Morgan obv..jpg 1883 O Morgan Rev..jpg 1883 O morgan 2.jpg 1883 O morgan rt wing.jpg 1883 O morgan 3.jpg 1883 O morgan 4.jpg 1883 O morgan mm.jpg 1883 O morgan IGWT.jpg

jello likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

@Paddy54
    @messydesk

For me, I don't see enough to identify it because my vision isn't that good any more, but I'll bet that John can. I'd like to ask John if he thinks the parallel lines across Liberty's ear are adjustment marks. I'm not sure.

The clash from the "Cap Vee" which is visible between the eagle's wing and the right-hand wreath is very common so you rarely find a VAM based on it. The same goes for most die cracks.

Chris

Paddy54 likes this.
  4. Paddy54

Thanks Chris , my eyes are still pretty sharp on somethings..others not so good. In my younger days as a fowler my blind mates couldn't believe I could call a bird by its wing beats.
    As far as coins go they still catch a lot but you know how it goes . ... I try and train my eyes but sometimes I think I may have over trained to see things really not there.
    This one was going to be my before bed cake walk...... that ended up as a all night brain teaser.

5. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

The lines across the ear and hair are roller marks from rolling the strip to the proper thickness before it went to the blanking press. They're still visible because the strike wasn't strong enough to strike them out.

Paddy54 likes this.
  6. longarm

longarm Well-Known Member

I have 2-1883 O's that I've been unable to identify also, so I wish you luck.

7. Paddy54

I was hopefully that these were not pmd. Went I spotted them and their uniform I was thinking they were from the process not damage.

8. cpm9ball

Yeah, that's what I was thinking, but I couldn't remember the correct term. Thanks, John!

Chris

9. cpm9ball

I had a nice toner that was easy to identify. It was the VAM-4, O/O, Top 100.

Chris

10. Evan8

Evan8 A Little Off Center

Good luck. Im still working on a couple of 21's. Want to reach the brink of insanity? 1921 morgans are the way to go:zombie:

11. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Try vam 57 or 11. It's just a guess as I see the low 3 and what I think is the die scratch marker at the hair neck area of 57. The mm looks in the right spot too. But I don't see the beveling at the tail feathers from those pics. I've have a 57/11 that's been vexing me lately so I've got it on the brain lol. I'm out and don't have time to check vw so this is just a guess. That neck die scratch marker I think I see on yours could be just a regular pmd scratch but looks to be in the right spot.

12. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Not cracked up ones. They're fun as hell to attribute :)

No cracks though and I'd rather vam a Peace dollar :p

13. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Hey, I just cherrypicked an ms61/2 vam4 for $35 a couple weeks ago for an 83o lovin' buddy that didn't have one yet.

Do you still have your toned one chris?

Dave Waterstraat likes this.
  14. Evan8

Evan8 A Little Off Center

My one with half a date has cracks. The second one has none..... Im gonna get back to them tonight now that i have my secret weapon: 18 year old Glennfiddich :D

15. Paddy54

The neck area is a clash of what I'm clueless as that is what first caught my eye and the brain storm that this would be a cake walk. NOT! LOL

16. longarm

longarm Well-Known Member

Sounds like a good plan to me.

17. Paddy54

I say it's the 11 however I like to see a few more to nail it down. I still believe that the area under the eagle's head on neck is a clash . Not pmd thanks for your help.
    Also I noticed that the mm on vam world has the same scratch as mine through the O. Maybe caused by the same issue of the marks on the ear.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2016
  18. cpm9ball

Paddy, if you mean the clash on the eagle's neck, it is from Liberty's hair near the end of her jaw directly above the "88".

Do you have Terry Forfa's clash tool for Morgan dollars?

Chris

19. cpm9ball

Shane aka Kryptonitecomics sold most of my Morgans for me. If I recall correctly, it sold for about $200 in an NGC MS64 slab.

Chris

Cascade likes this.
  20. Paddy54

No I don't have that reference , thanks for the heads up, where might I find that reference or like most good references out of print .

21. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Draft saved Draft deleted