1883-O Morgan, input please

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Seattlite86, May 24, 2015.

1. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

I know the photos aren't the best, but what are your thoughts on this 1883-O Morgan Dollar? Would you consider it to be MS? Also, what are your thoughts on the green spots on the reverse? I also noticed the rim ding for the first time as I was taking the photographs. What do you think fair market value for this would be?

IMG_4447.JPG IMG_4451.JPG IMG_4461.JPG IMG_4464.JPG IMG_4466.JPG IMG_4468.JPG IMG_4470.JPG IMG_4471.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Ah, these strikes were on the weak side. Assuming it's "all there," maybe MS63, $50? I hate going first, lol.

The green looks to be PVC and might be loosened up some in acetone. Was it around a plastic bag? PVC damage comes from the chemical that makes soft plastic soft. Check the mint mark, too, there's an O/O variety on this one.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  4. Sean the Coin Collector

Sean the Coin Collector Active Member

Possibly cleaned i don't like that dark strip, it is hard to tell from the images so i can't be sure but something is bugging me about it !! If it did grade i would agree with the 63 and the Green does appear to be PVC related !!

Seattlite86 likes this.
  5. Seattlite86

Which dark strip are you talking about? If you're talking about the reverse, that's what I'm used to seeing on Woodies.

6. Seattlite86

I bought it off a coworker who was selling a collection. Unfortunately, no O/O.

7. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

How's the cartwheel on her , if average I'll go 63 . The stripe goes from 10 O clock to 4 on the reverse . At least that's the one I see .

Seattlite86 likes this.
  8. coloradobryan

coloradobryan Well-Known Member

The spots are going to lower the grade to around ms-62.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  9. charlietig

charlietig Well-Known Member

I agree with that, my vote is MS-60

Seattlite86 likes this.
  10. Seattlite86

The part in front of her mouth gives me the inclination that it may have been lightly cleaned at some point. That or the toning took on a very strange form. What are your opinions on giving it an acetone bath to even everything out? I bought this for close to melt so I don't think I'd lose anything if it went awry but I'm not very seasoned at dipping.

11. Seattlite86

Let me finish by saying this coin is one of my "investment coins" so my only goal is to sell this to get as much money for it as possible. Knowing that, what would your next move be?

12. coloradobryan

coloradobryan Well-Known Member

it will be best to try to remove the spots from the reverse. IF you dip it, make sure to wash the chemicals off pretty well.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  13. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

A coin dip used the right way will probably improve it, but I never used a coin dip, so I can't say what the right way is. I'd just seen dipped coins. A lot of Morgan Dollars are dipped, and they grade, so that's not an issue, provided it's done right. It just has to be done such that it doesn't take off too much of the "skin," and it doesn't look too dipped. I'd start it off in pure acetone. That's safe. Just put some in a glass jar and put the coin in for about a half-hour. When you get it out, poke the green stuff gently with a toothpick, see if that loosens it.

Last edited: May 25, 2015
    Seattlite86 likes this.
  14. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

I'd only dip it in a 25% dip solution if it has enough luster . There's nothing worse than a coin that was over dipped and had the luster stripped . Acetone won't touch toning only an acid and thiourea dip , like E-Zest coin dip . Some dilute it even more , and for beginners it's highly recommended as you can leave it in a few seconds longer than at full strength . Sometimes at full strength 5 seconds is too long . Also dilute it only with distilled water , as tap water has too many additives and minerals . Then a rinse of Acetone or distilled water and pat dry . I'd also practice on some bullion coins that you don't mind wrecking .

USS656 and Seattlite86 like this.
  15. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

16. Seattlite86

Care to elaborate? I'm almost inclined to believe you but would love to hear the reasoning. Also, a gently used coin is worth more to me than an uncirculated one. Of course, gently used means not so valuable as an investment coin...

17. Sean the Coin Collector

Sean the Coin Collector Active Member

Essentially this coin is not at least now going to be worth a ton assuming you get the verdigris of the coin in a way that dosent look like the coin was cleaned maybe you are looking at 30-35 dollars so you will make I'm guessing 10-15, i honestly wouldn't waste to much time on it !

18. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

I agree with 62/63. If you are able to get those spots off with acetone, more than likely it will leave white spots where they were. A light soak in diluted distilled white vinegar can even the color back out. As others have said practice on something worth spot.

Last edited: May 25, 2015
    eddiespin likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted