1883-O Morgan....authentic or no?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by hcmusicguy, Jul 7, 2015.

1. hcmusicguy

hcmusicguy Member

Picked this up on Ebay a few months ago. Its diameter is a hair smaller, and a hair thicker than a known silver dollar. When I do the ping test, it rings like a genuine silver dollar would, however the pitch is very slightly higher. I have a bullion test app on my phone that measures its ping frequencies against those of known coins, and it checks out ok with that. Its color is good next to known silver coins. Its weight is 26.67g and is not magnetic. It's just its diameter and its ping that bother me. What do you guys think?
    20150707_220636-1.jpg 20150707_220647-1.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

I'm far from a Morgan expert, but that 3 bugs me a lot.

Edit: ... but so does the 3 on a number of certified examples I've looked up.

4. chromerunner

chromerunner ******

Whats going on with the ear....

5. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

That ear is really weird , doesn't look like a hit . Bottom of the nose looks funny too . Guess I should check the mint mark . If fake it's a good one .

6. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

someone cleaned it ...

7. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

It does look like it has been polished. That may account for the "3" looking slightly unusual. The ear looks like it took a hit and pushed it to the southwest. I don't see anything else that looks too far wrong.

Chris

8. hcmusicguy

hcmusicguy Member

The mark in question on the ear is indeed a hit mark. There are four such marks on the obverse: one in Liberty's crown, one on the ear, one a little south of the ear, and one near the right edge. These were disclosed by the seller. They are starting to smooth out because this thing has been riding around as a pocket piece for 2 1/2 months. (I bought it for that purpose because of the damage). That would also explain the polished look. Yes, it has also been dipped.

Ebay seller's original picture:
    20150414_1883omorgobv_opt.jpg

Picture I took when I first had it in hand (before it went in the pocket):
    20150420_20150420_204301-1_opt.jpg

9. bear32211

bear32211 Always Learning

A ding also to the bottom center "1" ? Pushed up.

10. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

Amazing what a good pic will show , and how a different picture can distort the images . I'd of sworn in the 1st pic the ear didn't take a hit . Well time to get new glasses .

green18 likes this.
  11. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Was your first image a scan? Scans tend to flatten out details.

12. hcmusicguy

hcmusicguy Member

The two pictures in Post #1 and the second picture in Post #7 are taken with my phone. The first pic in #7 was the Ebay seller's pic.

13. charlietodd

charlietodd New Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

If this can help at all, for a reference..
    I just happened to have this in front of me...

Pic my not be the best, my phone is all i have right now.

McBlzr likes this.
  14. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

Does not look counterfeit-- just harshly cleaned circulated common date Morgan.

Draft saved Draft deleted