1883 no cents v nickel uncirculated?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Daulton, Jan 16, 2022.

1. Daulton

Daulton Active Member

image.jpg 4E6CE4A0-CCC7-42DC-B178-C6D921EE3C2C.jpeg BFF37B81-EE87-40F2-A8CF-DC458F8EFE7D.jpeg What do you guys think of this coin? What would the value on something like this be?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

I think it was AU, not uncirculated, but it's been viciously cleaned.

The 1883 no-cents is actually the easiest Liberty nickel to get in MS. It's typically less than half the price of the most common dates. Many, many of them were set aside when they were first released.

With those hairlines on the reverse, this might be -- I dunno, a $10 coin? Many collectors would turn up their noses at it, but it does show the details of the design clearly. I like it better than the typical later-date worn-flat examples I see in bargain bins.

jafo50, GH#75, Mountain Man and 3 others like this.
  4. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

I say 12 to 15 $ its been cleaned, high mintage, and vergis needs to be addressed asap as its going to eat those two stars. This date is common in either NC or cents. A nice Au coin 35 to 45 $ ms well $60 & up depending on grade . 20220116_112608.jpg
    See the areas red arrows thats not good the 12 and 13 * have been treated for the rot. If you haven't purchased dont. 20220116_112608.jpg

5. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

6. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

A problem coin, very low value. JMO.

7. Daulton

Daulton Active Member

I received it in a group of other coins I purchased lol, didn’t pay any premium or anything just wanted some opinions! Thanks everyone!

8. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Ok cool wasn't sure,and didn't want you to buy it and have second thoughts after the opinions?

Daulton likes this.
  9. Daulton

Daulton Active Member

I appreciate it for sure!

Paddy54 likes this.
  10. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

Before reading any replies I literally said out loud to myself exactly what @-jeffB said, AU and harshly cleaned. I actually said AU55 though ;)

My opinion basically concurs with everyone else's. It's a problem coin that I'd avoid if it were offered to me.

11. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Supporter! Supporter

Ditto the above. A lack-luster cleaned coin that would get a "details" label.

12. Southernman189

Southernman189 Well-Known Member

still a nice coin and you are lucky to have it.

Draft saved Draft deleted