1883 Morgan Die Crack

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by WashQuartJesse, Jun 3, 2009.

1. WashQuartJesse

WashQuartJesse Member Supporter

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. FreakyGarrettC

FreakyGarrettC Wise young snail

Can you give us an un-scribled on pic? :)

4. OxJaw

OxJaw Senior Member

We really need to see pictures of the whole coin, obverse and reverse. Is that the only die crack you see? What about other things such as doubling or die breaks?

The problem with a lot of the die cracks on the Morgan's is that they maybe EDS (early die stages) so they don't exactly match up with any listed VAM. Another thing is die cracks are rather common on some years of Morgan's that some of the less "significant" die cracks do not warrant a VAM number without other major features such as doubling or die breaks in letters or stars or such.

5. WashQuartJesse

I'm on it, but I must tell you, getting anything to show up as I see it with this camera is a real pain lol. While I'm at it, I'd like to add that the die crack in the first picture continues up to the E. Also, it is visible without magnification.

I'll see what I can do but I'm not set up to get photos like those on the VAM page.

6. WashQuartJesse

I'm not suggesting this is a VAM but the crack is interesting...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

Not on a 1883 morgan....but then again I do not look at too many of them. I can say it is certainly different than the vam picture. Little die cracks like this are just interesting to me. Sorry for the interruption.

8. WashQuartJesse

Interruption? lol Thanks for commenting!

9. the_man12

the_man12 Amateur Photographer

Of course it is a VAM just like every other Morgan and peace dollar ever minted. All VAM refers to is the combination of obverse and reverse dies.

10. byrd740

byrd740 Numismatist

True, what the_man said. All Morgan and Peace dollars are VAM varieties, just finding out which one is the task.;) Yours does look like the VAM 10, but not quite, but as said earlier it could be a EDS.

11. raider34

raider34 Active Member

Die cracks through the stars and the date are pretty common on Morgans. I would agree it looks like your coin was very early in the die stage because the cracks are so weak. Nice coin though!

Draft saved Draft deleted