1883 Liberty Nickel

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Art G, Aug 22, 2015.

1. Art G

Art G New Member

I also found a 1883 Liberty Nickel that seems to be gold plated with "No Cents"
    It looks very fine...for starters, what do you think it's worth?
    (Another coin that was passed down by Grandpa)

Attached Files:

swamp yankee likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

Some of the early 1883 liberty nickels were gold plated and passed as five dollar gold pieces; they were called "racketeer" nickels. I don't know if this one was done back in the day, but many were plated after the fact and sold to tell the story. I personally consider this damaged, but some would pay maybe ten bucks for it. I suppose if you could somehow prove that this was an original playing done in 1883, it could carry a bit more premium. Later in 1883, the word cents was added to the reverse to prevent any confusion.

phankins11 likes this.
  4. Evan8

Evan8 A Little Off Center

"If we just put a big V on the back, people will know its obviously five cents. No one will try to pass it off as five dollars."

-Charles Barber probably

phankins11, NSP and Seattlite86 like this.
  5. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

Even after thirty nine different patterns (compared to thirty three regular strikes for the entire series) were made for three years prior to release of the liberty nickel nobody realized the flaw. Good to know that government didn't really work then either.

6. charlietig

charlietig Well-Known Member

I actually like it better dipped in Gold. lol

7. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Maybe I'm way off base, but I thought the original Racketeer Nickels were placed in a gold wash which was not real gold. It would seem to me that if this were the case, the wash would have worn away on most of these coins after 125 years. Based on this, I think that the OP's coin is probably a modern reproduction.

Chris

Paddy54, swamp yankee and Seattlite86 like this.
  8. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

Agreed with you Chris. I'm no expert on these, but I've spoken to a few knowledgeable people on these because I hope to own a Racketeer Nickel someday. They told me to look for ones with gold that looks more orange as the ones like the one the OP showed are modern reproductions.
    Edit: I'm not sure it was a gold wash and not actual gold, but there's no way they made one so long ago and it would still look like that.

9. swamp yankee

swamp yankee Well-Known Member

It's a "racketeer nickle" they plated them & had kids pass them as $5 gold pieces....

10. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Really.

swamp yankee likes this.
  11. swamp yankee

swamp yankee Well-Known Member

The boys at the mint were fiddling with the coins designs all the time and the public wasn't too smart either so it had to be "spelled out" for them. I have an 1872 half dime and they're still amazed we went thru the trouble to do it that way....

12. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

Is it just me, or does the OP coin just look like a normal, lightly toned, AU-BU Liberty nickel with a pinkish cast from a white balance issue?

13. wmichael

wmichael Active Member

The story as told in the 50's was the coins were passed by a deaf mute. Standard play was for the mute to purchase a 5 cent cigar with one. If no change was offered he just walked out. It worked well enough that the "cents" were quickly add.

Draft saved Draft deleted