1883 Hawaii Dime

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Silverhouse, May 29, 2016.

1. Silverhouse

Silverhouse Well-Known Member

So I took a chance and bid on this coin, not expecting to win. AT ALL. I put in my bid and wait, expecting to be outbid anyways. I can't see any evidence of cleaning, and this coin exhibits the same kind of toning as one of my MS Barber dimes. Even if it's cleaned and these photos' aren't the best, what would you say the value is? s-l1600 (2).jpg s-l1600 (3).jpg

Here is the sellers description. And I did read before I bid. LOL

THIS COIN IS AN 1883 SILVER 10 CENTS PIECE.
    THIS COIN WAS ISSUED BY THE KINGDOM OF HAWAII.
    THIS COINS CONDITION WOULD BE CONSIDERED AS: MINT STATE.

(SIDE NOTE: WITH THE NEW, EVEN-MORE STRINGENT, RULES BEGINNING ON MAY 31ST, REGARDING RAW COINS. PLEASE CONTACT ME FOR AN ACTUAL NUMERIC GRADE OF ANY LISTED COINS.)

THIS COIN IS A NICE LOOKING BRIGHT & LUSTEROUS ORIGINAL SPECIMEN.

THIS COIN HAS AREAS OF MINIMAL TONING.

A MUST HAVE COIN TO COMPLETE THE KINGDOM OF HAWAII 10-CENTS SET.

OVERALL, A REALLY BEAUTIFUL SPECIMEN WITH LOTS OF EYE-APPEAL. BUT, AS WE ALL KNOW, BEAUTY IS IN THE EYE OF THE BEHOLDER. I PERSONALLY BELIEVE ALL COINS ARE BEAUTIFUL TO SOME EXTENT.

THIS COIN WOULD MAKE A GREAT ADDITION TO ANY KINGDOM OF HAWAII COIN COLLECTION.

THIS NOTE WOULD MAKE A GREAT ADDITION TO ANY UNITED STATES TYPE SET!

A MUST-HAVE ITEM FOR THE TRULY AVID NUMISMATIC ENTHUSIAST.

SEE THE PICS AND BID ACCORDINGLY! CHECK OUT MORE GREAT RARITIES ON MY OTHER AUCTIONS! THANKS AND HAPPY BIDDING!!!!!

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Well, the description takes the seller off my list of trusted....anything. Heavily cleaned (it's the only way to get that "crud in the tight spaces" look), greatly circulated (VF, maybe?), likely polished. Those are scans, where bright shows as dark, meaning to me that the darker areas of the fields and devices will be the shiniest features on the coin.

I expect you to see a pretty thoroughly polished coin in-hand. $30-40 street value, maybe?

Mint State Hawaii Dime:

1883Hawaii10Obv.jpg

1883Hawaiit10Rev.jpg

4. Silverhouse

Silverhouse Well-Known Member

I'll see how it looks in hand. And I thank you for your input. I don't mind much as it can go into the "impaired coins pile." I like it anyways, and it will be a long time before I can buy a slabbed MS one.

5. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

I'm of the opinion that Hawaiian coinage is a "buy them when you find them" kind of issue, anyways. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted