1883 CC Morgan Uncirculated Silver Dollar

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Qasimja, Jun 30, 2016.

1. Qasimja

Qasimja New Member

i found this coin during a property clean out we were doing they said anything we found we could keep i dont know anything about coins its still in the case what would be the value? does the value increase if i get it graded? thanks for all the help

[​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Qasimja

Qasimja New Member

4. Qasimja

Qasimja New Member

5. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Does the case say: GSA on it?
    And uncirculated?

6. smarch

smarch Active Member

What did you see when you googled 1883 cc Morgan dollar?

7. Qasimja

Qasimja New Member

8. Qasimja

Qasimja New Member

thats the thing the prices are all over the place i didnt know which price to go buy and i didnt know if getting it graded would matter in the price so thats why i asked here

the case says uncirculated i uploaded the picture

9. smarch

smarch Active Member

Yours looks pretty clean, probably better than ms60.

10. brandon spiegel

brandon spiegel Brandon Spiegel

The 1883 CC is a good date for a Morgan Silver Dollar, but unfortunately not a super scare date because of the GSA (General Service Administration) hoard that took place back in the 1960s. Still, in mint state grade, if real, is worth at least $200-$300! Purchase "A Guide Book of United States Coins" If you want to learn more about prices. Or, I wrote a book book has a bit about the coin market if you want to get deeper into coins. :) Definitely a nice looking coin!

11. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Nice find! Not too many people get a CC Morgan by "Hey, you keep it.":D

Brett_in_Sacto likes this.
  12. Qasimja

Qasimja New Member

lol yea we have a property cleanout business this dentist was selling his mansion had 8 cargo van loads full of trash we had to remove found this sitting in a drawer

13. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

Ballpark value probably around $180-220 (retail) unless it grades MS64 or higher. If so it may be worth certifying. Can't really tell from the pictures but probably not. Sharper pictures would help but really it would be best to find a trustworthy and knowledgeable individual to evaluate it in hand.

14. Qasimja

Qasimja New Member

yea im not really good at taking pictures i just got this nikon d3200 and have no idea how to use it those are the best shots i could get lol

15. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

It takes some learning to take coin pictures good enough to really grade from, I don't do it myself. Let's hear what some other people think. Nice freebie for sure!

16. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Be sure and keep the box it came in. Some collectors want those with the coin. Also, did it have a certificate of authenticity? No big deal if that got set aside, but if you have it, keep it.

17. Qasimja

Qasimja New Member

i looked for it but couldnt find it just the original box

18. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Its ms63 worth $200-225. A coin shop will probably pay you around $150 for it. If they say $100+ go find another shop until you get an offer of $150 +/-.

Nice find for a cleanout! If it was any other date than 82, 83 or 84 the value would be double or more but still a sweet freebie :)

Edit: Can you get a good pic of the chin line between the chin tip and where the chin meets the neck. I think I may see a lamination or strikethrough error which could add a few more bucks if it is a lamination or strikethrough error and not just an odd bagmark.

And that brown patch in front of and above her face, does that appear to be on or embedded into the coin or is it on the outer plastic or stuck inside the plastic? Crystal clear zoom pic of that area too please :)

Last edited: Jun 30, 2016
  19. Qasimja

Qasimja New Member

that brown patch seems to be on the coin itself its not on the outside of the case

[​IMG]windows 7 screenshot

Cascade likes this.
  20. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

You *could* have a strikethrough wood chips/sawdust error as evidenced by that brown piece if it is embedded in the surface and the bottom chin line patch and patch in front of her ear were too but those chips didn't retain in the surface and fell off after the strike if my hunch is correct and thats what we have here. If so, it should add a couple of bucks to it. Interesting coin, I'd like to see this one in hand.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2016
  21. Nycmacman

Nycmacman Active Member

ms63 nice little 200 dollar freebie you got!

brandon spiegel likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted