1883 CC morgan in an old "NCI" slab

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Artillery87, Jan 20, 2023.

1. Artillery87

Artillery87 Active Member

Just picked up this 1883 CC morgan in an old NCI slab. I had never heard of NCI but did some research and found that it was a short lived grading service started by the guys at heritage auctions. The slab originally came with a photo certificate but I didn't get it with this coin. It is graded 65/65 as I believe they are giving grades for both the obverse and reverse. I don't know if it would get 65 by modern PCGS grading standards, maybe a 64? Still need to loupe it carefully to check for any VAMs. The first 8 on the date looks like it may be doubled. Seems like a pretty nice coin with not too many contact marks. I kind of like the nostalgic look of it in this old holder though so I may not even crack it out and send it to get graded. Just thought I would share and hopefully get some thoughts and opinions. Thanks for checking it out!

Attached Files:

Dynoking, ddddd and potty dollar 1878 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

Definitely not a 65. I would grade it as a decent 64. NCI coins should be treated as raw in terms of grading. They were a marginal operation.

4. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

5. Artillery87

Artillery87 Active Member

Exactly what I was thinking, an average 64. I louped it and believe it to be a VAM 8a. I didn't pay close to 65 money and knew to treat it as a raw coin, so I am just fine with it not being a 65. But I would be a little disappointed if it were at or below 63 lol

6. SilverMike

SilverMike Well-Known Member

I like the coin and the holder. I find the old holders really interesting as grading and grading companies evolved.

7. ddddd

ddddd Member

NCI slabs have some premium for slab collectors. However that premium tends to disappear for coins that are more expensive (like here). So an 1881-S MS 63 slab could sell for more than a PCGS/NGC but an 1883-CC MS 65 will sell for a discount to a PCGS/NGC in the same grade.

It looks like a decent example (even if it is a point high) and sounds like you paid the right amount for it.

Evan Saltis likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted