1882 Three Cent Nickel

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Indianhead65, Sep 11, 2019.

1. Indianhead65

Indianhead65 Well-Known Member

I just recieved this coin in the mail today. The 1882 has a mintage of just 22,200. This one was graded XF40 by the seller....do you agree? I've more than half of this set completed so far...This is the natural color...no extra lighting was used. 20190911_151000.jpg 20190911_151112.jpg

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GenX Enthusiast

GenX Enthusiast Forensic grammatician

Nice columns, and incredibly low mintage. Is the 2 an overdate of some sort?

Indianhead65 likes this.
  4. SchwaVB57

SchwaVB57 Well-Known Member

There is a 2 over 1 for 1882. It could be the photos, but the coin looks like it was cleaned. Just my observation from the pictures.

5. GenX Enthusiast

GenX Enthusiast Forensic grammatician

With that mintage, I don't expect there're too many around in any condition.

Indianhead65 likes this.
  6. Indianhead65

I thought it was but some say that this is normal for these coins

GenX Enthusiast likes this.
  7. SchwaVB57

SchwaVB57 Well-Known Member

Still a nice addition to the series.

8. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

While I may not agree on an XF 40 grade, sometimes there are series that are more leniently graded, especially the key dates.
    I can't tell about the cleaning. I'd prob be VF 30 or so. The photos have too much
    contrast.

Indianhead65 likes this.
  9. Indianhead65

Thank you

10. Indianhead65

The coin is actually a little darker than the pictures show but this is the best I could do with my phone. I'll try to get better ones soon.

Michael K likes this.
  11. Jim M

Jim M Ride it like ya stole it

I have a few PCGS around that time frame (1880,1889) and they are VF30. Seems my VF is stronger on the obverse and a little weaker on the reverse then the coin you posted. Could say yes or no on that coin as a 40. I wouldn't pass on that coin if I seen it at 40 and priced as such. Just my 3 cent opinion. Tough to find.

Indianhead65 likes this.
  12. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Oh it's a great coin. I would just like to see some clearer photos.

Indianhead65 likes this.
  13. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

I would call it a VF 30 or 35, and there is no 1882/1 overdate. The 2 degrades and fills in. You can also see this on the 1882 Indian head cent and the 1882 Shield nickel (which a lot of people then try to sell as either an 82/1 or an 1883/2). The chipping and filling of this style 2 is commonplace on this year and other years and denominations that use it. It is just a flaw of this font design.

Indianhead65 and medoraman like this.
  14. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

This is the coin we were talking about in the other thread, right?

Glad it appears there are no surface problems (I'm always worried about them when buying raw coins on Ebay).

I do not think it makes EF - I think this would be best at VF-30. Still, very nice complete lines in the numerals - weakness in those lines drives me crazy (similar to weakness in the wheat lines on the reverse of the Lincoln.)

Indianhead65 likes this.
  15. Indianhead65

Yes....this ia the same one. I'll try to get better pictures tomorrow

16. Indianhead65

Thank you Conder101

Draft saved Draft deleted