1882-p Morgan "Monster"

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Cascade, Jan 28, 2016.

1. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

If I liked both coins, I would keep them both. There's no rule that says you can only have one! That's also the beauty of collecting: Since it's your collection you get to make the rules!

Me, I prefer uncirculated coins. But that's just a guideline really. I have some AU's and XF's in my collection as well and this one: I bought it because I liked it:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 30, 2016
    Cascade likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Welcome to the party jerry! First off let me correct that my coin is not a true monster toner. The ones @Mainebill posted are true monsters. Now to your questions... That is a little more coin than you think. There are collectors who enjoy the finest examples AND ones that want the poorest examples, these are called "lowballs" and the "best" grade p01 while fr02 are still considered lowballs. Your coin I would say is ag03 but darn close to fr02. If it were my coin I would put it in my pocket with other change for about a year and try to naturally wear it down to a p01. So, while being technically a "cull" coin it is almost "bad" enough to be a highly collected grade (p01) due to registry sets. Heck, 82p could be a rare date for a p01 lowball, I'm not sure, but if it is you could get 2 guys fighting over it in the 3 figures if you wear it down in your pocket.
    I digress though. To speak more directly to your query, I would keep it in my collection for sure because it is almost a lowball. If it was a any better I wouldn't want it personally unless as an album hole filler if the 82p hole was empty.
    Everyone has their own standards and preferences though so if you like it keep it, if you don't sell it off and put the $ into a coin you like. I highly suggest the pocket piece idea for this coin though, it's so close to a p01 lowball that it shouldn't take that long and it will be more desirable to other collectors than the grade it's at now. I know it sounds strange but that's lowball morgan collecting for you... as poor as you can get it while still being identifiable by date and mint. You can thank the tpg registry sets for this. One of the better things to ever come from a tpg imho

Draft saved Draft deleted