1882-p Morgan "Monster"

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Cascade, Jan 28, 2016.

1. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Hey guys, meet "The Pink Lady." I picked this up for only $110 if you can believe it... Most don't know that the 82p is a VERY uncommon year for beautifully toned morgans. Almost broaching on rare. This is a technical monster for 82p and it's duel sided with neon pop to boot! I've scoured heritage and very few 82p toners were there let alone ones with duel sided neon pop especially with this kind of color and eye appeal. Only one came close and it sold way back in 2005 for over $300.

So whatch think? Calling all color-heads familiar with toned morgans for opinions. Wish I had the photo skills of @Lehigh96 though lol.

20160128_082719.jpg 20160128_082703.jpg 20160128_082624.jpg 20160128_082540.jpg 20160128_082624.jpg 20160128_082901.jpg 20160128_082529.jpg 20160128_082641.jpg 20160128_082509.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

very pretty, good catch

Cascade and Endeavor like this.
  4. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

I like the reverse, but I think it got a 1 point bump for color.... Still a very nice Morgan!

5. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Maybe. That's what I thought at first however most of that cheek is luster breaks. Under the color there are few enough actual bag marks that it's an acceptable borderline 64 imo. 82p is plagued with bag marks which is why the large 64/65 price jump

Endeavor likes this.
  6. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

I think the color is very good for an 82-P but still not in the "monster" category. PS, if you wanna send it to me, I will photograph it for free.

7. Dave Waterstraat

Dave Waterstraat Well-Known Member

Nice toner but I think your lighting is really killing it. If you don't send it to Lehigh send it to me...:)

8. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Nice toner. But not a monster. Looks line an album toner. And I think it got a 1 point bump too. Looks like a 63 to me

9. Endeavor

Endeavor Well-Known Member

10. Kapimono

Kapimono Active Member

I like the coin from the OP here instead...I prefer the creamy smooth color transition. The other one is too trippy. ;)

11. Mainebill

Like the colors. But prefer obverse toners or 2 sided. Still nice tho

12. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

That is a nice crescent toner, but he uses saturation enhancements on his photos and I would not use the word monster to describe that coin. Monster should evoke the reaction of "holy crap" when you first see the coin. That coin makes me say "hmmm, nice."

Cascade and JPeace$ like this.
  13. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

I agree with Lehigh96. This picture has been enhanced. I've viewed many of this buyers toners in the past and I've come away with the same conclusion regarding his pictures. If possible, see if the TPG has a picture of the coin to compare; otherwise, I'd be wary.

coinzip likes this.
  14. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Guys I know it's not a true monster. In my excel I use "monster" in quotations to describe my toners that are close but not quite and I use "true monster" for the real deals. In my op I should have said "conditional monster", well actually "not true but monster for the date/mm" would have been more precise. I forget to be technical sometimes which in forums I should be.

@Lehigh96, thanks for the offer. I might just take you up on that. I'll shoot you a pm within a few days

15. Colonialjohn

Colonialjohn Active Member

What are luster breaks?

16. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Oops, I meant color or frost breaks. Nice to see you around here john!

17. Endeavor

Endeavor Well-Known Member

1. Super Duper True Monster Max
    2. Super Duper True Monster
    3. Super True Monster Max
    4. Super True Monster
    5. True Monster Max
    6. True Monster
    7. Monster Max
    8. Monster
    9. Conditional Monster Plus
    10. Conditional Monster

18. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

:hilarious::writer::bookworm:

19. Mainebill

image.jpeg So is this image.jpeg To me this is a monster

20. Jerry Curtis

Jerry Curtis Member

21. Jerry Curtis

Jerry Curtis Member

Cascade, thanks for posting your beautiful lady. Your post brings me to a point of inquiry that I would like comments from collectors. I have an 1882-P Morgan...she is not a 'monster' as your example, but to me she stands as a fair representation of that particular coin for that particular era and I am pleased to have her in my collection. I am a collector that daily sorts thru my amassed pocket change and occasionally pick up some rolls of coins from the bank to sort through, and happily, I occasionally find it to be a rewarding exercise. I will try and upload a pic of my coin; she's got some wear but I enjoy her. My question to the membership is, if you had a coin in this condition and then found a beautiful coin as the one Cascade recently purchased, would you keep the lesser coin or sell/trade it off? Is she better off going back to be recycled or should she be kept for my heirs to enjoy when I'm gone?

Perhaps the question I'm asking of collectors is, do you have a minimum level of quality a coin must meet before you will add it to your collection? Or, are you like me, if you find an example you don't have you add it, regardless of its condition or numismatic value?

Please look over my coin and give me your opinion. I have it graded as 'ABG' [about good] with a value of $20; a little less than the the NGC Price Guide for good which is $29. Comments? 1882-p Reverse.jpg 1882p Obverse.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted