1882 O over S Vam 5

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by COOPER12, Apr 29, 2020.

1. COOPER12

COOPER12 Well-Known Member

Just picked this up on a last second bid. I figured for 46.00 I couldn't go wrong, it is graded AU-58 by ICG

It is Vam 5
    does anyone know how 5 compares to 3 and 4 in rarity ?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 29, 2020
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. BlackberryPie

BlackberryPie I like pie

Any slab photos?

4. COOPER12

yeah ill post them

5. COOPER12

here are the slabs

Attached Files:

capthank and thomas mozzillo like this.
  6. RollofTheDice

RollofTheDice New Member

my opinion: nice grade for price!
    I remember looking at some to compare one I was considering buying about a year ago.. they were running $60-$100 bucks, uncertified and not quite as nice grade as that one!
    I cant remember which of the online searches were best but I think there was info on the PCGS website about the different VAMs.?
    I gave up on them when I found out they werent as 'rare' as some people were advertising them as.
    (but I would definately go with yours if I saw it on auction at that price!)

COOPER12 likes this.
  7. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

C:WINDOWSTempE821 - 20200331_193339.jpg C:WINDOWSTempE820 - 20200331_193314.jpg There are 3 types, Vams 3, 4 and 5 on this variety. Vam 3 flush,vam 4 recessed,and vam 5 broken. The EDS are all rarer and hold higher value than LDS in all 3 vams.
    This variety has a lot written on it to reference,and clearly an under rated Morgan variety.
    Judging from your images yours looks to be late die state vam #5 .
    From your images I am not seeing an AU coin.
    In xf it is still an $75 coin and well worth your investment
    Au grades are 55/$ 120 to 58/$145 in value...

Last edited: Apr 30, 2020
    RollofTheDice, Michael K and capthank like this.
  8. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

Looks like ICG might have messed that one up, and that it's a VAM 3 EDS. The picture isn't very clear as to what's on the inside of the mint mark, but the mint mark position matches VAM 3 and it looks like part of Liberty's neck is missing (also a VAM 3 trait) and there's a thick die gouge though the hair a bit below the ear. If that's the case, you did really well, because the EDS 82-O/Ss are all worth more than the normal ones, although the VAM 3 EDS is the most common of the EDS coins. Pricing data is all over the place for these, though. One of the two more recent sales on Heritage was for $400 for an AU55, which I think is too much, while there are a couple others at around $100, which I this is too low.

9. Paddy54

You know John this morning I was thinking that IGC missed the call...that's why I posted my two specimens for comparison.
    No matter the op did well for the price paid.

COOPER12 likes this.
  10. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Nice pickup. A definite O over S.

COOPER12 likes this.
  11. COOPER12

I do not have the coin yet for better pics probably here Monday or Tuesday. it is hard to tell the quality of the coin but it graded AU 58 so I hope its a AU quality coin. I mostly got it because I needed a 82 O so why not with the O over S at that price

Cheech9712 likes this.
  12. COOPER12

I will try and get some clearer pics when it gets here

13. Paddy54

There was a great write up from the old silver dollar round table.
    I had thought I saved it....must of been on a cloud that got removed,so I o longer have the write up.
    But you did well and you can't beat that.

COOPER12 likes this.
  14. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Great call

COOPER12 likes this.
  15. Cheech9712

Super. How sweet it is. ANYONE KNOWS WHO COINED THAT PHRASE?

16. Cheech9712

Really happy for you. Whats your next miracule?

17. COOPER12

no miracle but next on my list are probably 1899 , 89s are next two I think , hopefully in MS62-63 hopefully toned

18. COOPER12

more photos actually a pretty nice coin, hard to see the mint mark detail. is this a die crack on the top left f the coin?

Attached Files:

19. messydesk

Definitely VAM 3 EDS. Congrats! That's a tough one. I don't a die crack on the upper left. I do see what seems to be a piece of lint between the L and U, though, if that's what you're talking about.

20. COOPER12

yeah its hard for my eyes to see haha may be lint. Do you think I should have it regraded for Vam 3? its graded at 58 now has good detail though so not sure it would grade down

21. messydesk

Probably the cheapest option for you would be to contact ICG and tell them the coin is misattributed, and see if they'd just fix the label for the cost of shipping (if that). Other options, in increasing order of expense, include sending to my service for a correct attribution I'd put on the back, or sending to ANACS or PCGS for a grade and attribution. VAM collectors tend to avoid NGC because of a history of widespread misattribution problems. I can't tell from the pictures how I think ANACS or PCGS would grade it.

COOPER12 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted