1882 mexican coin

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Bob J, Dec 11, 2012.

1. Bob J

Bob J Member

Someone sent me a text an asked if i would give him a price for a 1882 zs js mexican 8r coin. Coin looks almost to good . I have not seen it in person only on a text pic. Can someone tell me what to look at to tell if it a fake. Thanks for your help

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. frostyluster

frostyluster Member

No pictures, no help.

4. Bob J

Bob J Member

5. Bob J

Bob J Member

Those are the only pics i got so what you think. If you think its not a fake how much is it worth?

6. Swervo513

Swervo513 Well-Known Member

How did you come upon it?

7. Bob J

Bob J Member

I buy alot of coins. I've got wanted ads on craigslist.This coin i have never come across before.I'm by know means a pro at this. But i do buy around 100 to 200 oz a week in silver. That said does anyone know if this one is a fake or can tell me how to tell a fake from the real one? An how much it is worth i think if its silver it should be worth around $10 for just the silver.

8. JeromeLS

JeromeLS Coin Fanatic

Check that it's non-magnetic and weighs around 28g first.

9. Ripley

Ripley Senior Member

:thumb: Well, I happen to have an specimen of the same coin. Here is mine for comparison. If yours weighs out and the diameter is correct, I would go forward.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

10. Bob J

Bob J Member

So how much is it worth if it is real?

11. chip

chip Novice collector

22dollarsinxfthatisfullretail

12. Tinpot

Tinpot Well-Known Member

isyourspacebarbroken?

13. Bob J

Bob J Member

So if i get for $10 that is a good price then. Thanks for the help

14. illini420

illini420 1909 Collector

If you buy it for $10 the seller is obviously no friend of yours. If genuine and you melted it down, it's worth around $25 in silver alone at current silver prices.

15. sonlarson

sonlarson World Silver Collector

Bob, I mean absolutely no disrespect, but if I could afford to buy 100-200 ounces of silver a week, I would become the ultimate expert.

16. Bob J

Bob J Member

I work my ass off by working 80 hours a week or more. Buying silver coins is just a hobby of mine. That said i only have time to buy during the winter months. Sense i buy so much i just have know time to learn about all coins but do know a good bit about US coins. I've never sold any coins so the value above melt i'm not to good with. I would never just melt a coin if anyone would do that then they are not a true coin collector. I know i will here from someone about that but that is what i believe.

17. Tinpot

Tinpot Well-Known Member

some coins are so damaged/or so slick that it makes sense to melt them, just my opinion though.....

18. Bob J

Bob J Member

You may be right. I may have to eat my words. Because i,m working on a deal now that i will have to sell an i,m sure some will go to melt. But i still do not like it.

19. Bedford

Bedford Lackey For Coin Junkies

Im sorry but this coin is not authentic. The design is not correct.

20. Bedford

Bedford Lackey For Coin Junkies

I am also 99% sure this coin is not authentic as well. Once again the design elements are off. The lettering is not correct & it has a very "mushy" appearance.

21. gubni

gubni Active Member

It's so simple to test with a rare earth magnet slide test.

Draft saved Draft deleted