1882 Japanes 1 Sen...Rotated Die?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by MontCollector, Mar 30, 2017.

1. MontCollector

MontCollector Well-Known Member

I am currently in the process of cataloging my wife's world coin collection. We both know nothing about world coins and their errors...just like collecting them...Only paid for 2 coins in her entire collection, and they are silver.

Anyways, as I was taking pictures of this coin I looked on internet for obverse and reverse and orientation. That's when I noticed that hers was oriented a little off.

With the obverse oriented with the 1 Sen on bottom like it shows on internet the reverse doesn't line up when flipped directly over.

Is this a rotated die? 1882.jpg

Thanks ...Mont.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

No. See that dot to the right of the word SEN.. That dot should be the middle at the bottom. Turn the coin around and then it won't look rotated.
    IMHO

Numismat likes this.
  4. MontCollector

Thanks paddyman. Numismaster has it oriented with the 1 SEN on the bottom. This is what made me ask.

5. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Numista also. But whoever has been taking the pictures and orienting them the way it is shown was not around in the late 1800's to be told the proper way to look at the coin ;)

6. Stork

Stork I deliver Supporter

I take pictures the same way because I like reading them that way. It's also how the JNDA (Japanese Numismatic Dealer Association) catalog shows them too.

That said, I'd have to check that coin specifically. My only smattering of coins handy has a coin orientation (vs. medal) that centers on the western denomination. I also do have at least one other coin with a well rotated die, but that is a more current coin.

paddyman98 likes this.
  7. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

As a side note, errors on Japanese coins, even back in the Meiji era, are quite scarce and valuable.

8. MontCollector

Hmm. Now I am even more convinced this is a rotated die. If the right dot is supposed to be down the the revers is off by 270 degrees clockwise or 90 degrees CCW. If left dot is down then reverse lines up.

I have a friend who has an 1877 1 Sen and when the SEN on obverse is on bottom the reverse lines up with round part on top and line is horizontal.

More pictures

Left dot on bottom 1882LD_opt.jpg

Right dot on bottom 1882RD_opt.jpg

So is it rotated? If so is it rotated enough to increase its value?

Thanks again...Mont.

9. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

This is a common alignment "error". The standard was not there at that time.

I have gone through at least 100+ of such coins and here is a good example to compare there. They are not the best but you get the idea

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Genuine error coin exist and is quite rare.

[​IMG]

The standard way of aligning is using the two dots before and after 1 sen. Some times the dot in between "Great Japan" and "Meiji xx year" is used for alignment. But of course, there are times when the wrong dot is used. The last coin is a perfect example of this.

In this case, the second description fits this the best.

MontCollector likes this.
  10. MontCollector

Thank you @gxseries . Cleared up a lot. I will just put this coin in a 2x2 and move on.

Thanks again...Mont.

Draft saved Draft deleted