1882 $ 10 gold liberty.

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Beardigger, Dec 1, 2021.

1. Beardigger

Beardigger Well-Known Member

A friend of mine wants to sell me this $10 gold liberty. What do you think is a fair price? I know the melt value. But what is the added numismatic value? I want to be fair.
    8A7730E7-5520-4796-99E1-09EDCD051A2B.jpeg F4C95C10-1E9E-4222-A236-446ACBADEC05.jpeg

kountryken and CoinJockey73 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Southernman189

Southernman189 Well-Known Member

Might want to show a weight it looks good but a weight wouldn't hurt anything. 1882 in VF condition $1,050.00 - 2022 Red Book price. if that's any help. Seeing weak shield strike could be grease fill die.

4. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

In that condition, I'd think the premium over melt would be pretty tiny.

I can't be sure from these photos, but it looks cleaned to me.

5. Beardigger

it weighs 16.7 grams

CoinJockey73 and Southernman189 like this.
  6. YoloBagels

YoloBagels Well-Known Member

Ex Jewelry harshly cleaned, try not to pay much over melt.

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  7. Southernman189

weight is spot on ,Thanks. I'll have to agree on -JeffB. would be a price close to melt. Might want to look at gold price before parting with it. Get best bang for your buck.

8. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

That old eagle has spent some time as jewelry I do believe….. Today if I were selling, I would ask $1050.00 and would be satisfied if I got $950.00. If I were buying I wouldn’t offer any more than $950.00. Those eagles are pretty common and the price point changes very little between average circulated through AU grades. I believe you would be fair with your friend at $950.00.

Dug13, Two Dogs and Southernman189 like this.
  9. Southernman189

I was thinking the same amount@$950.00 but didn't want to think that was MY offer and try to buy the coin away. To be honest that would be MY top offer to the friend. that is very fair.

Two Dogs and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  10. CoinJockey73

CoinJockey73 Well-Known Member

I got one of those once when i was a kid. I bit it because i saw prospectors doing that on t.v.. Turns out, it was a chocolate ;).

Tamaracian, eddiespin, KevinM and 2 others like this.
  11. Southernman189

YUMMMMM you were the winner!:hungry:

CoinJockey73 likes this.
  12. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Ditto (x2). It has the look of an ex-jewelry piece. I'd not pay much over spot (melt) for it. But the spot value of the gold in it is $862.04 as I type this.

HoledandCreative likes this.
  13. Southernman189

it's a friend and must need cash for Christmas, I'd have to go $950.00 my heart is bigger than my brain sometimes. You are the wiser one Lordmarcovan.

-jeffB likes this.
  14. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Think of it as buying the coin at melt, and gifting your friend a bit less than $100 in a way that doesn't injure his pride. If that seems like the thing to do, go for it!

Mickey in PDX likes this.
  15. lordmarcovan

That’s not bad, really. Some premium over spot, sure, but if it helps a friend, cool. And some could argue it’s worth more than spot. There’s a lot of higher grade detail there despite the polishing. And I’ve seen worse ex-jewelry cleaned coins.

16. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I wouldn’t pay over $900 for it. Looks polished and definitely an ex-jewelry piece. Too many dings for me.

17. lordmarcovan

I might, to help a friend. It's the holiday season and in a good cause. Of course I would not expect to get much more than spot if I resold it.

And if the spot price of gold goes up, that little "overpayment" evaporates.

-jeffB likes this.
  18. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Harshly cleaned and polished! :inpain: I would try to buy it for spot and honestly that's what I would try to buy it for cause if he walks it into a coin shop he's gonna get less. Fair is fair, but I really don't like buying polished coins, cleaned is bad, but cleaned and polished is even worse. good luck! :D

19. Beardigger

Thank you guys. I appreciate your input~

CoinJockey73 likes this.
  20. schnickelfritz48

schnickelfritz48 Well-Known Member

I'd say spot plus whatever premium over spot your friendship is worth. In my opinion this coin has no additional numismatic value over spot because of it's less than desirable condition.

21. Mac McDonald

Mac McDonald Well-Known Member

My initial thought was, why your friend "wants to sell (you) this"...v. you wanting to buy it (from your friend). In other words, if your friend didn't want to sell it to you, would you want to buy it...? I might do it with, say, a $10 pocket knife...but considering the value here, not sure being a friend is a reason to just buy something unless you're really attracted to it, yourself. In this case...based on photos, condition, etc... I wouldn't be inclined to buy it, friend or not...just IMO, to consider, etc.

John Burgess likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted