1881 Surrender at Yorktown Medal NGC MS62

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Lehigh96, Sep 19, 2009.

1. cwtokenman

cwtokenman Coin Hoarder

Very Nice LeHigh! Impressive piece.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. louielot

louielot Junior Member

Paul,
    This is the only medal that I have ever seen that I like. Can you tell me more about it. Is it made of silver? How many are out there? Where would you be able to get one today? I tried to do some research on it but my searches came up empty.

Thanks,
    LouieLot

4. leeg

leeg I Enjoy Toned Coins

Nice Grab! :)

5. coinman0456

coinman0456 Coin Collector

You already know what I think of that Lafayette . Exquisite set paul .

6. coinman0456

Lehigh, have you thought about posting a want ad w/ the TAMS Publication ?

7. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

I am not sure I understand. What is the want ad for?

8. tommybee

tommybee Junior Member

Leigh

Sweet set of coins. I've been looking/saving for a Lafayette dollar for over a year. Most non-slabbed coins have been harshly cleaned. Certified coins from NGC and/or PCGS are expensive. I want an MS 63 because the BIG price jump is MS 64. Even if I had the money already it is still a very tough coin to find.

The Yorktown medal is awesome. Nice pair and both historically significant.

Thanks for sharing them.

9. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

This is the NGC Multi-holder that was introduced to hold all of the annual States Quarters in one slab. Since then, NGC has also introduced their "oversized" holders for larger medals. If I recall, these holders can accept medals up to 103mm in diameter and 15mm thick.

Chris

10. cpm9ball

11. cpm9ball

12. coinman0456

medal

I thought I read in your post that you were looking for a medal. I must be going cookoo here. Never mind the comment.

13. bqcoins

bqcoins Olympic Figure Skating Scoring System Expert

That is one sweet looking medal.

14. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

Thank for sharing! that!!!

You hit a home run with metal!!! MS-62! I know the mintage is not high.I don't how missed this gem but great find.most I seen an article about a1878-1900 lg is about 04 or 05 Lewis in Clark & Yorktown was list to with 3 other 4 well known Metal, the name of I can not recall at this time. most were display and environment damage caused quite a few were lost to it.

15. Honolulu Dick

Honolulu Dick Junior Member

This thread is absolutely wonderful! A horn-of-plenty, so to speak. Plenty of a great medal, associated coins and historic trivia.

Adding to the trivia, the record well documents that GW and Lafayette shared a brothers-in-arms camaraderie. Mucho admiration and mutual respect. Therefore, it was most fitting that the Marquis De Lafayette, in a letter he wrote to General GW in 1778, stated, "To act in concert with a man of great courage is the first of blessings." An expression of the warriors code of honor.

16. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Just took some new photos of this medal which might be one of the coolest items in my entire collection.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Great looking medal.

18. james m. wolfe

james m. wolfe New Member

Washington_Head2_W-F.jpg that is great !!!

Draft saved Draft deleted