1881-s Morgan MS66dmpl

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by HolmesMan, Jan 24, 2016.

1. HolmesMan

HolmesMan New Member

hello all,
    looking to make a few moves with parts of my collection.
    have this nice 1881s Morgan MS66dmpl, its an older grading and not sure if the toning happened before or after the grading. what should her worth be in today's market?
    I found the PCGS value on the site but the toning makes me wonder if it adds value or takes away.

thanks!
    morgan1881a.jpg morgan 1881b.jpg morgan1881c.jpg morgan1881d.jpg

Last edited: Jan 24, 2016
    rzage and micbraun like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

I don't think the toning would make a difference either way; it's not extensive enough to really add value. So, we fall back on real-world sales records indicating a value of about $2000 or a little more.

4. geekpryde

geekpryde Husband and Father Moderator

Here a link to look at some past results, I see a range of $1200-$2000 in recent years, but this link will go back quite a few years.

HA results

5. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

My personal opinion in this case is that the toning would detract from the value. I can't see this coin approaching the $2K mark.

Chris

6. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Why would you say that?

I find the toning attractive. I wouldn't pay a premium for it, but it certainly doesn't decrease the value.

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  7. Markus1959

Markus1959 Well-Known Member

Damn that's a frosty coin - very nice!!!

8. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

It's a beautiful coin , but I think the toning detracts from the overall look . Not enough to lower the value very much if at all , but it certainly wouldn't raise the value IMHO . I'm really not into Morgans but I'd put that one in my collection because of the nice cameo effect .

9. cpm9ball

Jason, I'm saying that I don't think the coin would approach $2K. It would probably sell for less.

Chris

10. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

This is the part of your statement that I disagree with.

11. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

I think it will hurt the value. You will be lucky to get $150 for it. To be nice, I will give you $200.

12. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

I agree that it wouldn't lower the value , but it's the kind of toning that wouldn't raise the value either . The more I look at it , I don't think it detracts from the coin as I'd call it neutral toning . But that's why collecting coins is so individual , what I like someone might hate and visa versa . And I'll up jwitten's price by $50 . ;) Just kidding mods .

13. cpm9ball

Okay, so your opinion is different from mine. I guess we won't know until it goes up for auction. Maybe @HolmesMan will let us know if he decides to sell it.

Chris

14. ddddd

ddddd Member

The most recent PCGS example sold on Heritage (the one pictured below) for 1,997.50 (which includes the buyer's premium) in January of 2015

I'd also say the toning is a neutral or small positive. Depending on the auction, it could hit the same 2,000 mark (but it could go much lower; note that the "Heritage Value Index" places a 1881-s 66 dmpl at $800-$975, which seems low).

http://coins.ha.com/itm/morgan-doll...928.s?ic4=GalleryView-ShortDescription-071515
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

rzage likes this.
  15. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

I'm not a fan of the toning on THIS particular coin. It detracts from the overall eye appeal for me. But that's just MY opinion. If I'm spending my money on a Morgan DPL, I'd either like no toning, or for it to be more prevalent on the coin. The toning appears to be very dark too.

It's a beautiful coin though and I'm sure there will be plenty of people wanting to add it to their collection.

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  16. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

Not familiar with this "Heritage Value Index" but I presume it's just a rough guide to (lagging) market values to avoid 1-time spikes and outliers.

But I do believe that for unique coins of any type -- and more so for the popular Morgans above MS-65 with DPL -- that paying a premium to any guide is not uncommon.

Draft saved Draft deleted