1881 s morgan dollar value?????

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Kevin1979, Jul 24, 2016.

1. Kevin1979

Kevin1979 Member

I have a 1881 s morgan dollar and was wondering if it was valueable or no??? It is ana graded and it is ms 63 here is pics

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

No photos load on my end.

4. Kevin1979

Kevin1979 Member

5. Kevin1979

Kevin1979 Member

6. Kevin1979

Kevin1979 Member

7. smarch

smarch Active Member

What did you find when you searched this date and condition on the internet? Do you have books/magazines that indicate trends and values? What do you think about $65 retail? That's three questions I asked, I should be ashamed of myself!

8. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

You can find NGCs price for that coin by going to their web site and punching the number in through cert verification. However, be aware that is likely a full retail price. But you can link to recent auction results there, also.

9. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

The 1881 S is very common and usually comes quite nice. Current retail value - $50, or a tic more, unless the toning is attractive enough to bring a premium.

10. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

That's ngc. It's worth around $50. Might get a small bump for the old holder though. No might be able to pull $60ish out of it

Santinidollar likes this.
  11. Santinidollar

If you have a PCGS coin you can do the same thing with their price and auction results. Although there aren't probably many of these graded, you can see what higher grades went for. Coin World tables are also available. Use them all and you can figure out what you want to pay for a coin. Heritage Auctions also is an excellent source for auction results.

12. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

The best place to find pricing is eBay completed listings. Those will give you a good idea of what real world people are paying. The prices will fluctuate depending on eye appeal, type of holder and the occasional bidiot. So average out those figures and you will have a good idea.

The same thing can be done for any coin.

13. Santinidollar

@jtlee321 is on the money, especially for more common grades.

14. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

@Kevin1979

The 1881S is well-known for a great strike and booming luster. A specimen like yours in MS63 will not have much demand for veteran collectors. The Red Book of Morgan Silver Dollars lists MS65 as the optimal collecting grade because it easy to find.

Chris

15. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Perhaps I've misunderstood, but 81-S Morgans?

16. Santinidollar

You did misunderstand due to my brain fart. What I meant to say is that Heritage isn't in the habit of auctioning this coin in MS63.:wacky:

RonSanderson and longshot like this.
  17. RonSanderson

RonSanderson Supporter! Supporter

@Kevin1979

As you look into this more, you'll discover that the 1881-S is interesting due to several factors.

The San Francisco mint paid close attention to quality, so many of these are of exceptionally high quality.

Due to political deals, the mint was legally required to produce a certain number of silver coins whether there was demand or not.

Many bags of 1881S were put into vaults and stayed there, forgotten, for decades.

As a result, this coin in very common in uncirculated grades. Yours may be considered a low grade for this issue, but a desirable grade for others. You can check out the population graded in each grade on the PCGS and NGC web sites.

My MS65 was $140. I could not afford that grade in virtually any other year.

18. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

Because of this, you will also probably find that an 1881-S MS65 will look MUCH better than an MS65 of almost any other year. So if you are wanting to collect really nice Morgan Dollars, then the '79-S, '80-S and '81-S Morgan's are the ones to collect. You will get the most bang for your buck in eye appeal.

longshot likes this.
  19. Kevin1979

Kevin1979 Member

20. Kevin1979

Kevin1979 Member

Any suggestions for where would the best place online to buy them

21. RonSanderson

RonSanderson Supporter! Supporter

I watched several sites for a while.

I made a chart where I wrote the grade, the site, current bid, next bid price, and most importantly, my own judgement of how much the coin appealed to me (on a scale of 1-100).

When I found the right coin at the right price, I made my move.

You can always start with eBay to see what others are actually paying. There are plenty of other sites that are easy to find, and a buy / sell forum on this site.

Draft saved Draft deleted