1881 S Morgan Dollar for Grading

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by TypeCoin971793, Feb 26, 2017.

1. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

I am thinking MS-65. What thinketh thou?

IMG_8673.JPG IMG_8674.JPG

charlietig likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Fjpod

Fjpod Active Member

I want to say yes but it is hard to make out the luster.

TypeCoin971793 likes this.
  4. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

I'm at 64 lacking luster and the obv. Quite a few hits the rev is nice, maybe a quick dip would restore the luster as from the images it looks cloudy grey.

5. SchwaVB57

SchwaVB57 Well-Known Member

Very nice coin, 65 is possible with a 81 S. The issue produced many strong strikes, very sharp details, and PL luster is not uncommon.

6. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I don't think it would make it.

Chris

TypeCoin971793, SchwaVB57 and Paddy54 like this.
  7. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

58. The eagles breast shows clear signs of slight circulation as opposed to bag rub and 81s are graded on a perfection bias. The obv might be PL but the rev would prevent the designation

TypeCoin971793 and Paddy54 like this.
  8. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

The eagle's breast looks fine to me for this series. In fact, the luster grazes on those feathers accentuate them better than on most of this series I've seen. On the obverse, the hair above the ear looks a little too flat, especially for this series, and that's one of the first areas to incur wear. I don't think the TPGs are going to call it wear. They could very well go MS65PL on this one, but that would be optimistic for the market, I think. I could see MS64PL, though.

9. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

I'm sensing the Sun on a somewhat-cloudy day as a light source here, which would reduce apparent luster since it's in essence a completely-diffused light. I don't see it getting a Gold Bean at 65, but it makes the grade.

eddiespin and TypeCoin971793 like this.
  10. redcent230

redcent230 Well-Known Member

11. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

I agree the lustre is very present. I do, have a hard time with the PL. The area infront of the face says that even the tone difference isn't enough for the designation, and at best looking for 65. Its an Honest pic,. I Really like the detail in the Collar, and Perimeter Devices.

12. thejaxcollector

thejaxcollector Active Member

13. Dave Waterstraat

Dave Waterstraat Well-Known Member

I agree with 65.

Draft saved Draft deleted