1881-O/S ? Something underneath the mint mark - opinions?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Brett_in_Sacto, Sep 3, 2015.

1. Brett_in_Sacto

Brett_in_Sacto Well-Known Member

So I have what I think may be a ringer, but I'd like other opinions. There's something under the mint mark and I'm going to get out the hi-res camera this weekend and review.

I've shamelessly stolen verbiage from PCGS regarding the supposed variety. Pictures below it. The last picture is the best I can do with the camera I've got now.

http://www.pcgs.com/books/silver-dollars/Chapter15Listings-049.aspx

2. "1881-O/S" (status controversial): A variety described as 1881-O/S, Breen-5560, has been cited by Walter Breen (B-5560), but has not been confirmed by others. Leroy C. Van Allen and Bill Fivaz each report that they have never seen such a variety; Van Allen suggests that VAM-5 or 9 might be mistaken for an overmintmark. Thomas K. DeLorey believes it is just a repunched O. Jeff Oxman believes that it may indeed by an overmintmark, "but the jury is still out; it has similarities with 1882-O/S varieties.(Bill Fivaz and Leroy C. Van Allen letters to the author, each dated October 31, 1992. Thomas K. DeLorey note received November 1992. Jeff Oxman, letter to the author, November 29, 1992.)

20150903_155519_resized.jpg 20150903_155419_resized.jpg 20150903_155455.jpg 20150903_151457_resized.jpg

miedbe7 and jello like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. miedbe7

miedbe7 Wayward Collector

These things play tricks on my eyes. To give you an idea of how my mind works (or doesn't) when viewing these, I am positive I see a "9" to the right of the O. Now is that just random metal movement from wear or could it be an ultra rare misplaced date ;)

Back to your specific question, I definitely see something. Don't know if that counts for anything though.

4. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

I'm in know way an expert in these and it may very well be an OMM but I believe I am seeing details of a clashed die. I stole this overlay from VamWorld. I believe I can see the details of the wheat ears around the D and O in DOLLAR. And of the letter S around the second L in DOLLAR. 1882_morgan_overlay2_+5.jpg

5. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

We often have people who are looking so hard to see something that they could swear they see the Shroud of Turin when all it turns out to be is a dirty washcloth.

All I see is circulation wear.

Chris

6. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

True. But I wasn't looking for it. I saw something that stood out and tried to determine what it might be.
    EDIT: This is what I saw. 20150903_155455-1.jpg

Last edited: Sep 3, 2015
  7. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

It certainly does look like an S but it appears too small.... I couldnt rule it out based on these images though.... I would like to see the high-res set of photos when they become available, Breen also claimed an 1881/9 S was floating around. Like the 80\79 S.... ive been looking for that coin for years!! I dont think it ever existed in the 1st place

8. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

Take a look at 1881-O VAM 5 on VAMWorld. I've seen uncirculated, slightly PL specimens of this coin and O/O makes more sense than O/S. Breen's assessment in his encyclopædia was as a "jack of all trades, master of none."

9. Brett_in_Sacto

Brett_in_Sacto Well-Known Member

I'm sure Breen knows more than I ever will, but after a touch of acetone to get the gunk out - I think you are right. There's something under there, but I can't definitively say that I see an S underneath. Could be a re-punched mint mark, O/O and my hi-res camera doesn't do it justice. I'll try for some better views if I find anything different.

Thu Sep 03 21-07-39.jpg

10. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Whatever it is, good luck in finding out.

Draft saved Draft deleted