1881 California Gold (Fake?/Round?)

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Lyricfive, Oct 30, 2019.

1. Lyricfive

Lyricfive Active Member

Hi all...one more for today. I came across this one and we tested it and it is definitely gold. I just know a lot of these California gold pieces have been replicated. Is anyone here knowledgeable with California gold pieces? How to spot the real from the fake? I was looking for a "round" 1881 1/2 dollar but only came across octagonal versions.

Basically is this a legit piece if it tests as gold? Did they in fact make rounds in 1881?

Attached Files:

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Chris B

Chris B Supporter! Supporter

4. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Supporter! Supporter

Looks good to me. I found a photo of one that is a match for the one you pictured here, in the Red book under California small-denomination gold.

5. Lyricfive

Lyricfive Active Member

Wow thanks. When you determine a value for this....do you estimate half of the red book catalog value typically? This question pertains to any coin I guess.

6. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

The Redbook is the primary resource for US collectors. The price guide though is better used to determine desirable dates/mints. I couldn’t really say there is any arithmetic that would bring the Redbook price guide in line. Particularly with something like your piece. You would do better evaluating a piece like yours using the PCGS price guide and auction records.

7. Lyricfive

Lyricfive Active Member

Wonderful info. Thanks so much...very helpful.

Draft saved Draft deleted