1880-O Morgan, micro-O

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Benjamin Failor, Apr 23, 2020.

1. Benjamin Failor

Benjamin Failor New Member

I got this 1880-O Morgan on eBay for $47. The obverse and reverse are a frosty white, no toning (I had to desaturate the photo because of the lighting.) I'm wondering:
    1) what you'd grade it as, based off this reverse photo, and
    2) if the small O is anything special or just a run-of-the-mill error.

I don't have my hopes up, I know it's a lower MS fairly common date Morgan. I buy coins because I like them, but if it's worth a little more than I paid then that's good to know as well.

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Benjamin Failor

And here's the obverse

Attached Files:

4. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I know nothing of a micro O on this date. There is an overdate but not a micro O.

5. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

6. bradgator2

bradgator2 Well-Known Member

Surface looks messed with based on the photos, maybe a little too harsh. NO mint was famous for weak strike. But I cant tell if the reverse is that or wear. I dont think it’s uncirculated though.

I will admit that I think the small Os are pretty darn neat. At one point, I considered putting a small O set together. I dont think this one has premium on it. I personally wouldnt have bought it if your pics were the in the ebay listing.

PCGS AU58 value is $58. AU50 is $40. So...

7. Benjamin Failor

A small-O set, that sounds like a great idea for a more concentrated collection. Right now I'm working on getting the O's in general, most of which are MS62 or higher. This 1880-O was supposed to fill that purpose, but if everyone here thinks it's cleaned then it won't do. I will note that the pictures were "enhanced" because the lighting was off, next time I'll take better photos. But I still had reservations when I first saw it, so the diagnosis "cleaned" sounds right. Anyway, thanks for your input everyone

Draft saved Draft deleted