1879 S Dollar Grade opinion

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by ben, Jan 11, 2006.

1. ben

ben New Member

I recently purchased this one and I believe I will send it away for garding. This will be my first one. I was just wondering what you think it will grade? Even though the pics do not show it the coin has very nice luster. Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. kaparthy

kaparthy Well-Known Member

Varying Degrees of Perfection

If the coin is truly as nice as the scans suggest, it is an easy 65. The few small bag marks do not detract from the obverse and the reverse has even smaller problems. It might go 67, again, depending on how much original luster is truly on the devices and how mirror-like the fields really are. If the coin is as nice as it seems, then congratulations on the nice catch.

In the Red Book, I see that there were 9 million struck and in MS-63, it is just another $50 Morgan Dollar. If you don't mind, what did you pay for it, and what would it be worth at 65, 66, and 67?

4. zaneman

zaneman Former Moderator

Hi ben, I believe it would grade an ms-62, or maybe a 63. There are too many marks in the prime focal areas to make a 64 IMO

5. zaneman

zaneman Former Moderator

In 65, 66, and 67, it would be worth about 125, 325, and 920 based on some older grey sheets. I would value this particular coin at about 35 dollars.

6. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

That's an MS64* coin. The obverse field down near 5 o'clock detracts from the overall grade without really killing eye appeal; otherwise the obverse might be MS65. I say *might*, because the camera is notoriously kind to Liberty's cheek. The reverse is wonderful, but that doesn't matter.

Were I you, ben, I would be looking for VAM's on that coin, starting with the first "8" in the date. I'm going to snag your pics into Photoshop and see if I can develop any more details. If you have anything of higher resolution, I'd consider it a kindness if you were to send them to me; it'll help my learning process.

Edit: After playing a bit, methinks that coin would, in fact, reach MS65. It certainly seems a match for coins at Heritage which are selling for $115-125 slabbed MS65.

7. Bonedigger

Bonedigger New Member

In the first picture (the hair) there appears to be some minor wear (AU-58), but in other pics it just looks to be the lighting. So I'd say it's an MS-64.

Bone

8. ben

ben New Member

Here are some pics of the date SuperDave I also noticed the N in UNITED was doubled. I also took a pic of the S. Thanks to all who responded.

Attached Files:

9. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I gotta go with 64 on this one. The '79-S is typically found very nice and if compared to another date and mint of the same grade the 79-S will look better every time.

Draft saved Draft deleted